cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Clarification of how BT Smarttalk works and the costs

I have recently downloaded BT Smarttalk onto an Android phone, mainly to be able to phone home via a Wi-Fi connected when abroad.  I could not get this to work and so have only experimented with it so far. In doing so, I have noticed some things that I'd like to clarify:-

1)  Before downloading the App, I assumed that it would only be used if I explicitly ran the app before making a phone call.  However, it seems to automatically spring up and intercept any effort to make a call using the phone's normal call method.  I assume that this is by design in order to potentially save money on calls.  Is this correct?  If so, perhaps it should be made clearer on the support pages?

2)  If no Wi Fi connection is available and BT Smart talk routes the call via the mobile network, does the call get charged for data usage or as a phone call?

3)  If BT Smart talk intercepts the call to use Wi Fi when I want to ring another mobile phone, I assume that I would get charged at the landline rate for calling a mobile phone rather than the cheaper rate that my mobile provider would charge.  If so, is there a way of temporarily disabling BT Smart App if I do not wish it to intercept the call?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Clarification of how BT Smarttalk works and the costs

you must have set smarttalk as the default for making calls when you installed it.  I have it on my S5 and I have to activate the app before I can use it otherwise it defaults to my mobile provider

if you activate smarttalk over the wifi then call to mobile is as if you had used your home phone to make the call

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

imjolly, thanks for the reply.

AFAIAA, I was not prompted for, nor did I see, any setting that said make BT Smarttalk the default for making calls when I installed it.  However, if that is so, how do I reverse that setting?  I cannot see anything in the settings.

Any answers to the other questions?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I already answered 2 parts and last part it will be data usage

did you try manage application then select smartttalk from list then my S5 gives a lot of setting choices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks.

I can see under dialling defaults within the settings that it does not include numbers beginning with '07'.  Therefore, the question is no longer applicable, it should not intercept calls to other mobiles.

BR

0 Ratings