cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrbutt89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Cloud - Cannot select individual files for automatic backup

When I first used BTCloud, I was able to specify individual files to be backed up automatically.

Since the latest update, I only have the option to add entire folders to the automatic backup. I do not want to do this. My only workaround has been to add the entire folder, then delete the files I don't wish to keep backing up, but this seems unnecessarily complicated.

(I've followed the instructions from the online help, but it doesn't match what's on my screen. If I click on the cloud at the bottom of the window, I'm supposed to get a button saying "Add files or folders", but all I get is "Add folder". I suspect the help is from the previous version.)

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Cloud - Cannot select individual files for automatic backup

@mrbutt89 wrote:

When I first used BTCloud, I was able to specify individual files to be backed up automatically.

Since the latest update, I only have the option to add entire folders to the automatic backup. I do not want to do this. My only workaround has been to add the entire folder, then delete the files I don't wish to keep backing up, but this seems unnecessarily complicated.

(I've followed the instructions from the online help, but it doesn't match what's on my screen. If I click on the cloud at the bottom of the window, I'm supposed to get a button saying "Add files or folders", but all I get is "Add folder". I suspect the help is from the previous version.)

This is probably not the official method, but you can try this - It's simple and the results are predictable.

Backup files are stored on your pc in a folder named BT Cloud Sync.

Move or copy your individual file into that folder.

It will then automatically backup with BT Cloud, when logged in to Cloud.

If you want to edit the file in the future, make sure that you edit the file stored in the BT Cloud Sync folder.

Do not delete any files in this folder, as you will loose them on BT cloud, or at least move them to Trash.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
mrbutt89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

@Ribblelancs wrote:

If you want to edit the file in the future, make sure that you edit the file stored in the BT Cloud Sync folder.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. It's something I considered, but I don't want to have two versions of the same file in different locations on my computer, and I don't want to separate the file which backs up from its related files in the original location. Having to copy a file across to the sync folder every time I edit it (or the other way round) seems to make a mockery of the automatic backup philosophy! Added to which, there's always the risk that I'll overwrite the updated version with the previous one...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 9

I never really understood the logic of BT Cloud.

It isn't a backup system, its a duplication system which works well for a small number of files.

It works well if your perform a system image restore, but for a reformat  - Who knows?

However if you eventually find a way of doing things, i.e. selecting an individual file for backup (add to sync I think it was originally) you will find that this is what Cloud does - it moves your file to that Sync folder, and there's no copy left in either your library, or "My Documents".

Best of luck!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 9

Login to BT Cloud.

If you go to the PLUS symbol in the Cloud Panel.

Click on it and a list of pc folders appears.

Find the file you want to add to sync.

Click on "open file". .....This is added to the list of files to sync with BT Cloud.

0 Ratings
JimD
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

As I understand the so-called 'Help' system, the preceding post seems to give instructions for Sync, which I believe is not the same as Back Up. 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43062/c/346,6327,6332/related/1

However I ought to add that this guidance doesn't mention Sync and seems to predate it.

The instructions for automatic back up given in the help system correspond with those those given by the OP. 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43061/c/346,6327,6332

However they do not correspond with what appears on the screen, again, so far as I can judge. 

I have more or less given up on BT Cloud, not least because the help system often seems not to correspond with what's on the screen--it doesn't seem to be systematically updated.

Maybe it's just me, but I suspect not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 9

Agreed,
The instructions are outdated.
However, the method I described does produce a notification "backing up" each time you modify a file.
Perhaps if you modify a file in Library, or documents and add that to sync, then Cloud will retain both versions???

It's muddle, so you have to keep trying, until a further update is produced. It works, generally, but don't backup anything important. An external hard drive is safer.
0 Ratings
JimD
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

One advantage of BT Cloud is that it works automatically (though not with Sync: only with Back up linked with a specific device--at least that's what my trials suggest). 

The issue raised by the OP can also be addressed by creating one or more special folders containing only the file(s) you wish to have automatically backed up.  This is only sensible on a small scale for very critical files I'd have thought.

An apparent advantage  from the most recent 'upgrade' is that BT Cloud doesn't seem to open automatically on the desktop anymore when starting Windows.  I couldn't stop this virus-like behaviour.  Now it just seems to appear in the Notification area.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 9

Yes,
Sorry, I omitted to add that in the case given, you have to include the Cloud Sync folder in the automatic backup.

Incidentally, you can access the backup settings by clicking on the Cloud symbol at the bottom.

Then if you use Add to Sync, the selected files are backed up (it's a very indirect method, though).
0 Ratings