cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Cloud dot.conflict files

Has anyone else come across loads of dot.conflict files on their computer, I seem to have loads of files with either .conflict1 or .conflict2 in the name in the directories that I decided to sync to BTCloud, the only reference on Google search was for another firm called ownCloud which maybe running the same software from F-Secure.

deleting these has caused problems with some of the Software I run and I have had to reinstall programs.

Surely this software should only be synching the directories one way Computer>Cloud not both ways and if their is a conflict (updated file on PC) then it should either overwrite the file in Cloud or keep the older one in an Archive.

26 REPLIES 26
IreneRose
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 27

Re: Cloud dot.conflict files

Hi Bob

Had the same problem, noticed that the oriiginal file was set to 0 bytes, so don't delete the conflict files. I opened the conflict file and saved it as the original then deleted the conflict one. A minute or so later the original was back at 0 and conflict was back. The file in question was added as part of a directory and not specifically so I removed (unticked) the directory from the backup, waited until the cloud has removed it as well then added it back in. What I think is happening is that if you have a file open which is in your backup and you save it but leave it open, then the cloud tries to backup and finds that the cloud version is newer, then as it can't overwrite your local copy it creates the conflict flle.

As you say this is wrong, it should only do this for web uploads not local ones. BT needs to sort this fast or people are going to lose valuable files if they don't spot the problem.

Val

BobW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 27

I did actually lose some files, luckily they were a few config files for some programs, so I deleted the programs, reinstalled them from scratch and started again, but I'm not using Cloud until this gets fixed, I have another Backup system in the cloud which actually keeps versions which is much better [LiveDrive], but not so good for sharing stuff with friends, which is what I was looking for

Whilst researching this problem I came across a US Cloud called MyCloud which had similar problems, they seemed to think it happened if you deleted stuff on the Cloud side.
Highlighted
WatfordPhil
Beginner
Message 4 of 27

Thanks Bob

The same thing happened to me with a vital xlsx file.  Basically BT cloud wiped it and created a 1kb conflict file (nothing in it).   Fortunately I had it backed up elsewhere from the previous day, but a day's work was gone and some of it irrecoverable.  

I have taken your advice and switched BT Cloud off.  

From what I understand I should be OK if I turn it on when all programs are closed, let it back up and then turn it off again.

But people should beware.  BT Cloud could wipe a file and cost you a fortune!!

0 Ratings
snw1953
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 27

I've noticed the same thing. I updated a couple of files last night, which were backed up succesfully, then I switched my laptop off. When I turned it back on this morning, Cloud created the .conflict and .conflict1 files, although these were the same size as the originals and seemed to contain the same data. (I did have the '0' size file issue last week, though).

Cloud should NEVER change files on the laptop, and I can't understand why anybody would put a system live that did such a thing.

It is also a concern that this is still happening six weeks after the problem was originally posted. I never had this sort of problem wih digital vault.

0 Ratings
BobW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 27

It's actually over nine weeks since I noticed it.

I think one of the problems maybe that a lot of people may not have found this problem. because I don't think it actually affects the way the PC runs.

I found them because I run Roboform (a password manager) and they showed up in that.

You get problems if you delete them, I've actually given up on Cloud and no longer use it, I'd rather keep paying for my LiveDrive account which is much better as a Cloud backup/sharing host.
0 Ratings
snw1953
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Sorry Bob, I was looking at the date of the last posted message, and can see now that you originally posted the message three weeks before that.

My concern is whether the .conflict file is exactly the same as the one with the original name - although they are the same size, as the files in question are MS office files (so far, I have found it with Word .doc, Excel .xls and Access .mdb files) how can I tell if, for example, the last change I made to a document is still there without going into it and checking for every change made? (especially as the conflict files seem to appear the day after I've worked on the file, so it isn't fresh in my mind).

This has only happened with me since Backup 'finished' processing all of my files, and presumably went back again through my directories looking for changes. I say 'finished' because it has failed to back up any of my larger files (ie > 25 MB - which is most of my family videos etc.) so I have to use the web upload with those in order to ensure I have a full backup. I haven't given up on Cloud just yet, but unless the problems on this and all the other threads get resolved soon, I'm likely to dispense with both Cloud and BT (and I will happily fight them in court for misrepresentation if they try to claim I've 'broken' the extended contract I was coerced into agreeing to).

0 Ratings
BobW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 27

I believe from what I've read on another forum and as IreneRose commented in this thread, that the best way to deal with the problem is to tell MyCloud app not to back up those directories that have the problem. Wait until it has removed it from the web, that should get rid of the conflict stuff, then you can re-add them.

I'm also wondering if any of the BT Care Team ever look in this Forum, to check if customers are having problems, as nothing ever seems to get done.
0 Ratings
snw1953
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 27

That sounds okay in theory, but when it happens across multiple directories, you end up in effect with not allowing the Cloud application to backup any directories in case it occurs, which kind of defeats the object of having a backup option. The whole process appears to be flawed and inconsistent - on some occasions, I have changed a file on my laptop and it has been uploaded to the cloud within minutes, but currently I am still waiting for changes to files I made three days ago to be uploaded, so it is certainly not as mirror at the moment.

I believe the mods do look at these forums, but not every day, so hopefully one of them will pick up on this.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 27

You can contact the mods directly at: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 . But be aware they take 3 working days to reply: sometimes more if busy.  Point them to this thread when filling out the form.

I know they are acting as bridge to the BT Cloud team trying to get things done about the numerous bugs in BT Cloud.