cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snw1953
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 27

Re: Cloud dot.conflict files

Thanks for that, it is very useful. I'll contact them straight away.

0 Ratings
kozanstatue
Message 12 of 27

Just found 240+ of them in a game's autosave folder. The game saves 5 autosaves by default, and did so prior to BT Cloud going all Hal 9000 on my PC. Now it generates them constantly, and some I cannot delete due to BT Cloud locking them ("This action cannot be completed as the file is open in the F-Secure Host Process"). Very troubling 😕
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 13 of 27

One of the really irritating things about the .conflict files is that BT Cloud has such a simplistic one way copy model (computer to cloud) that conflicts are theoretically impossible.  They have somehow magiced a conflict situation out of nothing, and then mishandled it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
rjpwilliams
Message 14 of 27

My partner was complaining that files that she had saved in Paintshop Pro (.jpg) were not opening once modifed and saved.  She said that she was finding the same files with a .conflict1 extension.  I wondered whether this was something to do with the geriatric PSP program in Windows XP (I have not experienced this in Windows 7), however, she then reported the same in Word (.docx), I then tracked it down to the BT Cloud software. It seems to rename the original to .conflict1, 2, etc. and leave an empty (0 byte) copy.

Yes, the solution would be to turn off automatic backup, however, this defeats the object of having mirroring software.  I switched to BT Cloud because it was cheaper per GB than Norton which I had been using before without any issue.  If BT don't sort this issue out I shall cancel this service and return to Norton.  As several people have already pointed out, file backup software should not be messing around with the original files.

Richard

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 15 of 27

If you decide to ditch BT Cloud, consider SquirrelSave (which I use). Fast, reliable, good history versioning, excellent customer service and £5 per month for unlimited storage. It lacks some features you may need like web album access to your files, so check the details first.
0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 27

I have given up on all the cloud drives floating about. I have a NAS drive set up as RAID so that if one drive fails I do not lose the files. It is a costly solution but very fast and secure. Unless I have a fire.

0 Ratings
BobW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 27

Although still following this thread, as I started it, I gave up on Cloud a long time ago, another one you could try is LiveDrive, which I have always used:

http://www.livedrive.com/ForHome/#CompareProducts

0 Ratings
BobW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 27

SquirrelSave is good option if you only have one computer and directly connected external drives (e.g:USB), Livedrive is a better option if you have a Network of upto 5 computers and NAS drives though.

0 Ratings
nicmcckip
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 27

Hi I know this is an old thread but I am having the same problem on vista, has anyone found a work around yet?

I've stopped it running at start up and just open it on demand when I log in to the desktop app it automatically runs the back up then. But I it is still happening sometimes.

0 Ratings
snw1953
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 27

Hi Nic - I'm still having the problem as well, but for the last several weeks I've been directly in touch with the BT Moderation team. They told me that the Cloud team have been working on a fix to this for some time - they released one but it didn't work - and the latest is that they expect to release a new one in the next week or so, which MAY resolve the problem. I've found that the best solution is to disable Fsecure while I am changing files, as that seems to be where the conflict (and performance) problems arise, and let the backup pick up the changed files the next time I log on. It isn't an ideal solution, I know, but I'm hanging fire until the new release is finally here to see how things are.

0 Ratings