Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hclements
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Computer very slow when netprotect McAfee running a scan

Go to solution

My laptop is so slow when McAfee is running a scan that it is a real pain.  It's not an old spec either.  A HP Pavillion g7 with 6G RAM, an intel i5 processor and running windows 7.  Yet when McAfee scans it almost comes to a standstill and can take up to 48 hours to complete the scan.  Does anyone else have the same problems?  Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks.

Henry

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Computer very slow when netprotect McAfee running a scan

Go to solution

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect/McAfee. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

I have a similar spec computer, and it seems to cope with McAfee reasonably well.  I gave up with it on an old netbook that totally ground to a halt when McAfee updated itself or ran a virus scan.

It is a terrible resource hog, though, and you may be more affected if anything you do is performance-critical.  I certainly wouldn't pay anything for it.

0 Ratings
hclements
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for both replies.  I've removed Netprotect and installed Avira and Malwarebytes.  PC seems to be running fine when Avira scan is in progress.

0 Ratings