cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jay3779
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Configure other provider's Wireless Access Point and Antenna to point to a BTwifi hotspot??

Go to solution

Hello and thanks in advance for considering my question!

I'm a BTMobile customer with Unlimited BTWifi minutes.

Very soon I will have a redundant antenna on the roof of the house (model TP-LINK CPE210 Pharos Outdoor 2.4Ghz 9dBi WiFi PoE Access Point) and Wireless Access Point in my house, both left over from a previous provider who wireless signal was beamed to my house from a mast over five miles away.

My question is ..Can I configure this antenna /WAP to pick up the BT Wifi Premium Hotspot signal which is 2.9 miles away? I'm not sure yet if I have line of sight, as I've not tried anything. 

In the first instance, I'd just like to know if it's feasible?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Configure other provider's Wireless Access Point and Antenna to point to a BTwifi hotspot??

Go to solution

Not really. The BT hotspots have a very short range and are omni-directional.

You may find a nearby BT Home hub, which also transmit BT Wifi.

0 Ratings
jay3779
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Re: Configure other provider's Wireless Access Point and Antenna to point to a BTwifi hotspot??

Go to solution
Yes, my laptop built in wireless card can pick up BT HH, BT Wifi-X and BT Wifi with Fon, in my local area... but the reception is weak.

Can I boost the signal somehow?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@jay3779 wrote:
Yes, my laptop built in wireless card can pick up BT HH, BT Wifi-X and BT Wifi with Fon, in my local area... but the reception is weak.

Can I boost the signal somehow?

No, its not possible, as you have to actually login first to establish the connection.

If you have a directional aerial, then altering its position may help.

You will need a USB wireless card which has an external aerial connection. TP-Link do one.

TP-Link TL-WN722N

jay3779
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
thanks for the info, Keith.
0 Ratings