Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
johnhenry
Message 1 of 4

Connect to a French Orange hotspot?

Go to solution

I am currently in France and need help on connecting to a French Orange hotspot.

Previously I have successfully connected to SFR Fon using my BT email and password.

The Orange web site shows BT Openzone as a partner allowing free access and says to use the same details to log in as I would in the UK. (I have only used Fon WiFi in the UK and France.)

Entering my email/password fails with a incorrect format (or such) message. Using my BT user Id it fails with a user authentication message.

I have looked through this forum and the only posts about this seem to be over 6 years ago.

BT's web site says "There's no difference to you when using the hotspots. Together, BT Openzone and BT FON are now known as BT Wi-fi, the world's largest wi-fi network. You can connect to all of these hotspots for free if you're a BT Broadband customer. "

I have asked this on the BT help chat but been told that they don't know any thing about it (in India) and that I have to ring the BT WiFi technicians. I am posting this having bought a pass to Orange WiFi.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Connect to a French Orange hotspot?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

This question comes up on the forum quite often.

Partner sites which show BT Openzone as an option, are not included in the free BT Wifi/Openzone allowance, and you will not be able to use them.

If you are a BT Openzone user with a a monthly subscription, or paying by a voucher, then you can use third party sites.

In the UK, you can login to BT Openzone if its being transmitted from a BT Business broadband connection.

0 Ratings
johnhenry
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thank you for clarifying that.

Perhaps the chaps in India should be given access to this forum and BT change their statement that Openzone and Fon are the same thing, worldwide.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Its a fairly obscure problem that the helpdesk would not comprehend, as they would not be familiar with partner sites.

Many years ago, when BT Broadband customers had access to BT Openzone, they were given free voucher numbers that gave them limited access to all BT Openzone portals, including the partner sites.

Unfortunately that was stopped, when the rollout of BT Openzone/FON to BT Home Hubs was started Smiley Sad

Some of the long term forum members may remember that.

A typical thread similar to yours.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Bt-Wifi-Fon-Openzone-Roaming-clarification/m-p/8...

0 Ratings