cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sabo
Beginner
Message 11 of 23

Re: Connect to and Extend BT Wifi / BT FON ?

Thanks for the reply.

Was it easy to connect to? i.e like using an iPhone/iPad app for BT Wifi

Is there any router settings needed? I not totally clued up on that part of things.

Or did you buy the USB Wifi repeater as well?

Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 23

It is not a wireless repeater. It is a USB wireless adaptor with a large aerial which effectively replaces the one in your PC or laptop. You have to plug it in to your PC or laptop via a USB port. It will not connect to an iphone or ipad. 

Once you unplug it your laptop or PC will revert back to its own wireless adaptor.

You use the supplied CD to install the drivers then when you plug it into the PC or laptop and it will install. You then scan for wireless networks as you would do when you first connected wirelessly to your homehub. It will find your homehub SSid or free BTWifi, click on it then enter the wireless key found on the label on the homehub or your email & password if using free BTWifi and you're connected.

It is very easy to install in less than 5 minutes.

I did not need a repeater because the large aerial, about a foot long, pulled in the signal without one.

If you want to connect more than one device then a repeater may be a better option for you but be aware you can't use a repeater on the free BTWifi if that is what you are using.

0 Ratings
Sabo
Beginner
Message 13 of 23

Thanks again.

Looks like my idea won't work then, unless using a laptop. It will be some time before I pay for a landline.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 23

If you are using a laptop with Windows 7 and can get a wireless signal by using the Rocket adaptor from either BTWifi or a router you can set your laptop to act as a wireless access point. This would allow your iPhone, Ipad or other wireless devices to connect to the Internet through your laptop.

If you do an Internet search for Windows 7 wireless access point you will find plenty of info how to do this. You can also download a program called Virtual Router Manager which will set it all up automatically for you.

0 Ratings
Uma1r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 23

I too needed to extend the BT wifi in my area until my own infinity is installed in 2 weeks time.

Most of what has been suggested in this thread is, with all due respect, absolute rubbish.

I have just connected my Asus R-66U router in wireless repeater mode, quick internet setup, extend BTwifi and it has all worked beautifully.

Took the best part of 2 mins to setup and now I can get a signal outside to the drive. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 23

Thanks for digging up a month-old thread, but you forgot to mention the Asus costs £130 😉

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Uma1r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 23

I bought the Asus 9 months ago for £90 from Dabs, so I doubt it costs £130 these days. 

Also, it was just the router I had to hand, I am sure most routers are capable of doing the same!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 23

The old model is £110 and the new model is £170 at Dabs.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 23

@Uma1r wrote:

I too needed to extend the BT wifi in my area until my own infinity is installed in 2 weeks time.

Most of what has been suggested in this thread is, with all due respect, absolute rubbish.

I have just connected my Asus R-66U router in wireless repeater mode, quick internet setup, extend BTwifi and it has all worked beautifully.

Took the best part of 2 mins to setup and now I can get a signal outside to the drive. 

And how does this help the poster Sabo who was unable to pull in the BTWifi wireless signal? If you can't get the signal how can you repeat it?

0 Ratings
Tiggle
Beginner
Message 20 of 23

Hi

Would you be able to kindly PM me the link from your personal website? This is because as a BT customer, I am having problems logging onto BT Wifi with FON as it no longer recognises my two Apple devices (phone and iPad) even after deleting the connection. The BT Wifi with FON connection worked for a month fine.

Many thanks in advance.
0 Ratings