cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ed_Rooney
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Connect to and Extend BT Wifi / BT FON ?

I am a BT broadband customer and make very good use of the BT Wifi and BT Fon network when I am out and about, it would appear I am one of only a few fans of the service!

When I stay at a friends house (not a BT customer) I manage to pick up the BT Wifi / BT Fon wireless network on my Macbook... when stood near the window and on one leg! The issue I have is that my iPad wifi mustnt be as strong because I cannot even see the BT wifi / BT Fon option in my list of available networks.

So... my question... Is there a device available that I can place nr the window (and prop up on one leg!!!) which I can then log in to the BT Wifi network and extend the range so my iPad can see it and connect to it?

I have found this device (BearExtender Mini WiFi adapter for Macs) which will plug in to my Macbook to boost the signals it receives but that doesnt solve my iPad problem.

I tried using an apple TimeCapsule I have to extend the range but that doesnt work because there isnt any login information function that I could work out?

Any help is gratefully received.

Thanks

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Connect to and Extend BT Wifi / BT FON ?

You cannot easily repeat the signal from BT wifi, without a lot of trouble, as the IP subnet is different that the normal home hub, and quite likely your own network as well.

There is also the problem of logging on to BT wifi.

I did manage to get it to work using a TP-Link WA701ND, and changing the device IP address to the same subnet as BT Wifi.

It then repeated the signal, and I could logon to another laptop with a much stronger signal.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 23

There is at least one thread on here where the user has extended the signal so they could use it in their motorhome - I can't find the thread atm, but I did reply on it.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Ed_Rooney
Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have seen other solutions that people in Motorhomes/canal boats are using. It would appear they all plug in to a laptop though. I was ideally looking for a wifi solution.

If you wouldnt mind messaging me as to how you managed to get the range externder to work I would be very grateful.

Thank you again

Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

I will make up a web page on my website, explaining how to do it, and will post you the link on this thread when I have finished it.

Doing it that way, means I can easily refer people to it at a later date.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

Here is the link to a draft document which describes the process you need to follow.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/btwifi/wifi_repeater.html

0 Ratings
Ed_Rooney
Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Thank you Keith for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it.

I will let you know how successful I am !

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Unfortunately there is no longer a BT wifi signal nearby, so I cannot test it again. My home hub is a modified HH1, and BT wifi is disabled in the config, as it does not work properly.

0 Ratings
Sabo
Beginner
Message 9 of 23

I'm a BT Broadband customer. Currently renovating a 2nd property. No phone line and poor phone/3G signal.

Would this product help to pick up a nearby BT Wifi connection?

NET-WL-ROCKET_BGN

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

@Sabo wrote:
I'm a BT Broadband customer. Currently renovating a 2nd property. No phone line and poor phone/3G signal.

Would this product help to pick up a nearby BT Wifi connection?

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-rocket-bgn.html

I connected one up recently to my workshop and it gave me a vastly improved reception. It would obviously depend on how far away the router is that you are trying to pick up but in my case it was about 50 mtrs away and it doubled the reception signal strength. 

0 Ratings