Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukeds
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Connecting to a specific BT WiFi hotspot

Hi,

I live in an area where there is no fibre but for some reason just around the corner to me there is a BT Wifi hotspot where the speeds are 10x faster which I would like to use as I upload a lot of videos on YouTube. But for some reason, my laptop wouldn't detect the BT wifi hotspot next to my neighbours even though I can see it by opening my WiFi's software and it automatically connects to my hotspot and another hotspot which I get 100% signal but the one I want to connect to has only 50-60% signal which should be enough.

My USB WiFi device is no problem, it's a 13dbI antenna so nothing wrong with my antenna, it's just it connects to the one I don't want to. Can someone please help me please?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Connecting to a specific BT WiFi hotspot

It could be that the owner of the hotspot needs to reset his/her Homehub. This can not be done by BT so unless you know who is broadcasting the BTWifi signal there is nothing that can be done.

0 Ratings
lukeds
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

It's not that I cannot see it, its just only one BTWifi-with-FON ap is appearing on my "Connect to network settings" but if I scan to have a look at all of the channels of the wifis around me, I see that the BTWifis are in fact around me but only one is showing up as if they merged into one BTWifi if that makes sense?

Screenshot_6.png 

As you can see there's only 1 BTWifi-with-FON that I can really connect to but if I search all the networks with a 3rd-party software, you can clearly see that there's more.

Screenshot_7.png

How do I connect to specific BtWifi network and not mine? I'd like to connect with the BTWifi with fon that has 3-4 signal bars as it has better speeds.

I tried blocking the ssid but then it also blocked the ones I wanted so can anyone help at all?

If you can block a certain mac address then that would be great.

I'm running Windows 10 Home btw.

Any ideas or suggestions?

THank you

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

As they all have the same SSID, your device will only see one network and will only connect to whichever one it chooses. If you don't want to connect to yours, just unplug the router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Try deleting the connection on Windows 10. Then rescan for wireless networks and select the BT Wifi signal that you want to connect to.

Windows should connect to that BSSID (Wireless MAC address) instead of your own.

0 Ratings
lukeds
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Done that, still the same thing and oh, I've already unplugged my router but my other neighbour that has the same slow speeds as I do keeps interfering as well.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

I may be missing something but how do you know that the BTWifi hotspot you want to connect to is 10x faster than your own connection if you can not connect to it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

And why would it be anyway, if you can't get faster speeds I doubt a close neighbour can either.

0 Ratings
lukeds
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Because I went outside with my phone which I scanned and I saw the mac address and saved it then ran a speedtest on it with the BTWifi app so I can gain access. I know BTWifi hotspots only have a 10mbps limit but I was literally getting 9-10mbps upload and I only get 0.3mbps on my wifi which is really **bleep** tbh.

0 Ratings
lukeds
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

I have no idea, I do have screenshots of the speeds I'm getting from their hotspot and my hotspot. If you want, I can go outside and do a speedtest right now.
0 Ratings