cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheGreyStrummer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

DO NOT ACTIVATE OR USE BT WEB PROTECT!!!!

I repeat, DO NOT ACTIVATE OR USE BT WEB PROTECT!!! 

I made the very big mistake of activating this supposedly FREE extra, and regretted it within several hours. Apparently it is linked to McAfee security. What is the point of paying for Super FibreBroadband if the supposedly FREE added security causes your browsing ability to grind to a halt. This function is the biggest load of rubbish that I have ever been involved with, with respect to website security.

I repeat for the third time in an effort to warn others of this thoroughly attrocious security function ..... DO NOT ACTIVATE OR USE BT WEB PROTECT!!!

When I experienced the severe speed reduction regarding my browsing ability, I deactivated this function, and my browsing speed returned to normal within minutes......

For the forth time ..... DO NOT ACTIVATE OR USE BT WEB PROTECTION!!!

Please be warned!!! This experience was not a coincidence of switching on this function for the first time in 18 months .....

Live as if you were to die tomorrow .... Learn as if you were to live forever. (Mahatma Gandhi.....)
20 REPLIES 20
Dode
Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: DO NOT ACTIVATE OR USE BT WEB PROTECT!!!!

Have been using it since last year some time without any problem!

0 Ratings
TheGreyStrummer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

That's good to hear, and I am very happy for you my friend. I only speak from my own experience, and initially tried the BT security around 18 months ago. At that time, I discovered that the forum was full of people experiencing problems with such systems. I tried this most recent security (thinking that the old problems had been resolved) only several days ago, and several hours after activating it, my browsing speed dropped dramatically ... the security would not even allow me to view some sites involved with my everyday finances, which I have used for years. I would just welcome people to draw their own conclusions, but I am convinced that this security service is not practical to use .... just my opinion. Sorry BT ....

Live as if you were to die tomorrow .... Learn as if you were to live forever. (Mahatma Gandhi.....)
0 Ratings
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 21

Hi there,

I too have never had any issues with Web Protect, and it's a service I would recommend.

My understanding of how Web Protect works is that when it's turned on the BT DNS servers will resolve a block page instead of the actual page when you try and visit a site that is on a blacklist of known male are /phishing sites. I don't see how it would be possible for Web Protect to have an impact on browsing speed (BT Claim it doesn't impact speed at all on their product page).

If you were seeing block pages when you tried to visit a site you use for banking then it sounds highly likely there is some malware on your system at work. I would recommend investigating this as the source of your slow speed (if malware was trying to 'phone home' to known 'bad' locations and Web Protect was blocking this then I could see how repeated attempts wouod cause slow speed).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MichaelFreeman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Heck I'd agree with you on this!  In my own case I activated this to find I was now moved from Ethernet to a wireless connection. The message of 'Not Connected' started to appear on my PC. The BT website came on (eventually) as a 'text' mode and I could not log on. I had to use my Tablet to connect and disconnect the 'Web Protect' service. This BTW is moe to do with simply getting on line! A nightmare to say the least.

Michael

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

I don't remember activating web-connect but received an email that it was activated. And that's when the fun started.

I have also ditched my BT HomeHub version 1 (maybe 2) for a TPLink router - suddenly BT becomes very reluctant to support me. 

So, we were happily wathcing NetFlics on our smart TV using it's built-in Wifi connection quite a ways through the movie when the Internet disappeared and it wasn't coming back. My wife at the same time started getting the BT-DNS servers blue-screen-of-death-of-internet. I had my router configured to use the Goolge DNS servers as being the most reliable in inthe industry so, I changed the DNS server address setting in the router to accept the ISP's (ie BT's) DNS settings and still no internet. After calling the "to-be-paid-for" Tech Support team they checked whether Web Protect or Family Protect were turned on for my account (connection) and they were not but still getting the blue screen. After quite a while, the problem resolved itself but still my TV keeps loosing internet connectivity via it's wifi link. 

Finally I want to go be to the google DNS servers - I don't understand why BT thinks they can force me to use an outdated Hub and their DNS server let alone decide to turn on Web and Family protect products which I didn't ask for!

0 Ratings
edmcphee
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

My first thought was that this was a scam, primarily because of the implied threat in the final paragraph. So I googled and read about all the problems with it. I will not activate this and if BT try and force the issue it will be bye bye BT. Prices rise inexorably and service diminishes. This could be the last straw.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

@edmcphee wrote:
 I will not activate this and if BT try and force the issue it will be bye bye BT. Prices rise inexorably and service diminishes. This could be the last straw.

It is entirely your choice whether or not you choose to use BT Netprotect/McAfee. BT do not "force" you to use it.

0 Ratings
culltup
Message 9 of 21

I think the email referred to previously is spam - just received one as well.

Sender named as BTWeb.co.uk (not BT.com), actual sender is steve@******.net and activate link is to 

IDONTWANTMYMONEY Exclusive money waiver web service

Strange threat literally is ; "Important: If you do upgrade your security it may result in the permanent restriction of your account.." - whatever that means!

0 Ratings
Steve6
Message 10 of 21

I activated this a few days ago and had nothing but complaints from family members about slow speed, webpages not loading and social media apps and chat not working properly. As soon as I turned it off the problems went away.
0 Ratings