cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boe323
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

DO PEOPLE HAVE TO SIT OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE TO USE BTWIFI?

Hi, recently had a replacement hub3 because update messed my old one up, forgot to set up powersave, and what do you know, on the same day i forget to set it up there was around 4 or 5 people lol outside my house  early hours using the **bleep** hotspot( i hope it was the hotspot) sitting on the pavement with there phones and a laptop, i couldnt believe my eyes lol, they must of been going around searching for good spot and found mine was the best signal, anyway, do you need to be that close to use it?, seems pointless, you cant have crouds of people hanging outside your house everyday or night, im not that bothered about day, but night time when your trying to sleep is terrible, they werent messy or anything, didnt leave no junk behind, and kept quiet, but was a shock when i looked out the window lol. Ive set the powersave up now, they did come back and were saying that they were to early or that i wasnt in yet, now i feel bad for turning it off.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Re: DO PEOPLE HAVE TO SIT OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE TO USE BTWIFI?

You can always opt out of BT Wifi, if it worries you, or even use a different router than the home hub 3. That would allow you to stay opted in, without transmitting the BT wifi signal.

The actual hotspot map does not show the actual house, only a postcode area.

You may also find that powersave only disables your normal SSID, and not the BT Wifi one as well. Some people have reported this on this forum.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 14

Hi boe323,

The BTWifi or BTWifi-with-Fon SSID being transmitted from BT Homehubs only have a certain signal strength (range) such as your personal BThub3-XXXX SSID has for instance. Plus depending on other factors such wall thickness and obstacles that may obstruct the Wifi signals.

Commercial BTWifi (BT Openzone) hotspots seem to have a slightly better wireless signal strength than the BTWifi or BTWifi-with-Fon hotspots from a residential homehub.

I have my homehub in the window so our next door neighbour can use the BTWifi SSID if they are having a problem with their Internet, but as we are in a rural location no-one else usually uses it.

You can opt out of BTWifi (BTFON) if your unsure or worried but that would also stop you from using BTWifi yourself. As Keith has said you can also change to a different router as BTWifi will therefore be unable to transmit from a non BT Home Hub router.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
boe323
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

why is it moved?, im on bt infinity, and btwifi is using bt infinty, thats why i posted in bt infinity forum?.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 14

@boe323 wrote:

why is it moved?, im on bt infinity, and btwifi is using bt infinty, thats why i posted in bt infinity forum?.

Because your post is about BT Wifi and not Infinity.

dgilbert2
Expert
Message 6 of 14

I've never known anyone use my BTwifi as the signal is too low outside.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

@jac_95 wrote:

I have my homehub in the window so our next door neighbour can use the BTWifi SSID if they are having a problem with their Internet

If it's HH2 make sure it's facing outwards or change the wireless key, otherwise you may find your main SSID hijacked! Smiley Very Happy 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 14

Hi pottyperson,

It's a HH3 🙂 We used to have the Wifi un-encrypted when we used the old BT Voyager but it was a G rated Wifi signal on the voyagers so didn't transmit that far Smiley Very Happy

Cheers.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
somersetbob
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Opting out of Fon does not stop you using BT wifi that is part of your broadband package, it merely stops the hub transmitting a hotspot.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

@somersetbob wrote:

Opting out of Fon does not stop you using BT wifi that is part of your broadband package, it merely stops the hub transmitting a hotspot.

sorry but opting out of BTFON now BTWIFI will stop you using BTWIFI when out and aabout not just in your home.  you can use BTWIFI out and about if you use a third party router which does not broadcast BTWIFI but to use BTWIFI you MUST be opted in

this is the second time I have posted a correction to your incorrect advice about BTWIFI

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings