cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Desktop and Cloud not synching despite saying it has

My desktop PC files differ from the Cloud versions as follows

Uploaded 3600+ files in a single folder with 2-300 subfolders (one named Calendars) 

After many tests to check that my changes on the desktop PC were being reflected by the Cloud copy I discovered some worrying things

1/ I created a new folder in my PC desktop Calendars subfolder and added a tiny file from notepad called test.txt

The Cloud version did not show the new folder - but the test file appeared in the list of documents. 

2/ I deleted two Calendar subfolders on my Desktop (2022 & 2023)  but both remain on the Cloud folder structure and are not marked DELETE as I was advised would be the case.

3/ I created a new 2024 subfolder on the Desktop Calendars subfolder and added a new test file but the new folder does not show on the Cloud

I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice, rebooting both times. I am using win 10 and have 995gb free space on my Cloud allocation

Going quietly nuts here. Any thoughts out there? Cheers   Peter

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Desktop and Cloud not synching despite saying it has

Hi Peter

Folders will not show on the documents tab on the cloud.  The documents tab is just a view of all documents on the cloud.

If you want to view your folder structure, click the folder icon (called "all my files") and then drill into your backup from there.  The folders should appear!

Mog Catto

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Also, regarding point 2 (deleting files), if you are backing up a folder, then deleting a file on your PC doesn't automatically delete it from the cloud.

The only time a file deleted on your PC will get deleted from the cloud is if you are using "Sync" and the file is in the BT Cloud Sync Drive folder.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Thank you Mog I was aware where the folders were (ie not in the docs list). My issue was a combination of things. Primarily, being new to BT Cloud, I had no idea that the single file linked from my desktop to Cloud created not one but two folders, one which was (unknown to me) a BACKUP of my file (which I thought was the working live copy). I was also unaware that a file I had seemingly not linked (which was named as my computer) actually contained my live linked file, but it was 6 levels below what was visible (computer name/users/user/c/desktop/filename) so I completely missed it as I was not looking for it. I also did not understand that if you want to synch a linked file it needs to live inside the BT Cloud folder on your computer rather than following the +foldername advice.

I have given up trying to link/synch my laptop/s and phone/s as it seems that the issues it presents for me are not worth the changes as I must modify a file structure across several devices that has been used and understood for over 25 years simply so that Cloud can be at the top. I will now use BT Cloud purely for backup.

It appears that using BACKUP also has downsides, namely, that whatever files I create on my computer, rename, replace or remove ALL end up in the Cloud filing system meaning that when I need to recover anything in the future, if I do a RESTORE I will end up with every piece of dross, temporary versions, discarded and renamed junk I ever deleted. That's if I am understanding this correctly (which is open to challenge!) and I would love to get reassurance to the contrary.

Meanwhile, I would like to commend Caroline from the Cloud Email team and later, a colleague of hers Stephen S (name shortened to avoid him getting swamped with admirers) for their extremely competent and supportive involvement. Their help was extremely appreciated.   

Kind regards to all     Peter

0 Ratings