cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Disabling wifi network with 'BT WiFi' SSID

My BT Router is broadcasting a wifi network with a 'BT WiFi' SSID. I don't use this service when I'm out and about, I don't want anyone using any of my titchy 4MBit/s copper bandwidth to use this service (in any case, I also don't trust BT QoS to prioritise my traffic in this scenario) and I also have numerous Wi Fi networks in the house and don't want this one transmitting on any channels that might conflict with these.

The instructions on the BT website are out of date and direct you to a section that no longer appears to exist.

I've gone into the router as an admin and cannot see this SSID anywhere in the wifi config.

Can I switch this off? Or do I have to bin their router to do this?

cheers

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Disabling wifi network with 'BT WiFi' SSID

you can opt out  I tried the MYBT but could not get that to work but the logging into web page worked

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi-

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Been there and just end up going round and round in circles. As I stated in the OP, the instruction page linked to refers to sections that don't exist at the linked page to and clicking on the 'BT Wifi' product just takes me back to MYBT Home.

Just like calling BT really. 🙂  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Still need to resolve this, if anyone can provide a link which resolves to page that works, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 9

MyBT - Your Products [Manage] - BT Wi-Fi [Learn More], (scroll down toward bottom of page) - Scroll down toward bottom of page again

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@Anonymous 

using MYBT does not work for me either

@foxwelljsly 

using  www.bt.com/btwifi > 

then scrolling down to BTWIFI learn more

then scrolling down again I get Opt out of BTWIFI

and then select

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 9

@imjolly Just a different road to the same destination, the only difference is the screen you see when you get there.

If you're currently opted in then you will see the opt-out screen.

If you're already opted out the you will see the opt-in screen as below

BT WI-Fi.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@Anonymous 

just I can't get to the opt out screen using the MYBT app

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 9

@imjolly 

Sorry, I didn't make that clear.

I was already online so I didn't try the app, I did it via my laptop

0 Ratings