cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

EE WiFi-Auto on SH2 in place of BTWifi-X

We’ve been on holiday staying in an apartment with BT broadband with a SH2 and when I was attaching to the Wi-Fi I noticed in the available networks there was “EE WiFi-Auto”, which was shown as a secure network, and there weren’t any EE routers listed. “BT-WiFi” and “BTWifi-X” were also visible. I switched off the SH2 and “EE WiFi-Auto” disappeared. So I assumed that the SH2 is now transmitting “EE WiFi-Auto” instead of “BTWifi-X” as there were 2 HH6s showing with strong signals.

I did a search for “EE WiFi-Auto” and found this on the EE website it explains about it and how to login on with Apple and Android devices with a compatible EE sim.

When I tried to attached to “EE WiFi-Auto”, using my iPhone, with a BT mobile sim, it automatically logged in. But when I tried using my iPad, which doesn’t have a sim, I was presented with a login screen. I tried using my BTID but it wasn’t accepted.

Does anyone have any further information/confirmation?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: EE WiFi-Auto on SH2 in place of BTWifi-X

It’s all part of the rebrand of BT residential services to EE which has been underway behind the scenes since it was announced last year.

We are starting to see the changes coming through to the front end now in a few places. It was reported this morning that BT WiFi was starting to change to EE WiFi.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@stereohaven Thanks, I was thinking that as over the last 2 months we’ve gradually lost access to BTWiFi-X on our iPhones/iPads and the install has been removed from the BT Wi-fi app for IOS.

I assume that the name changes will be applied to the SH2 only as with the end of PSTN and the move to Digital Voice, which requires the SH2, the older HomeHubs will be replaced and probably not worth changing them over?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@David500wrote:

I assume that the name changes will be applied to the SH2 only as with the end of PSTN and the move to Digital Voice, which requires the SH2, the older HomeHubs will be replaced and probably not worth changing them over?

I don't know.

You may need a Smart Hub 2 for DV but older hubs still broadcast the shareable BT-Wifi SSID and a decreasing number of customers even bother with a landline, so may not see a need to change. 

————————————————————-
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@stereohaven A case of wait and see. I wonder if at some time you will be-able to login using your BTid?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I assume so.

There is a great deal of “wait and see” at the moment. There are lots of things not quite working as they should, I suspect much of it is due to changes behind the scenes that are not yet fully joined up.

————————————————————-
0 Ratings