cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darkshadow1111
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Error message using BT wifi app and trying to connect to BT Fon and Openzones

Im a new BT mobile customer and I downloaded the BT wifi app to help me to conect with local hotspots but I cant seem to login-  an error sign always appears and I dont know why.

I can login to the BT site as weel as the MYBT app without probelem using my details its only the wifi app.

I have a few questions;

firstly is my understanding that BT mobile customers can connect to BT openzones and hotposts correct?

if so why wont the app work?

More info on the wifi app

https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phones-tablets/how-to-use-the-bt-wi-fi-app-11363896271683

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Error message using BT wifi app and trying to connect to BT Fon and Openzones

In order to log onto BTWifi your BTID must be an email address.  It does not need to be a BT email address.

See link for the BTWifi help pages.

https://www.btwifi.co.uk/help/login-with-bt/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: Error message using BT wifi app and trying to connect to BT Fon and Openzones

Hi @darkshadow1111 welcome to the community and thanks for posting, yes with BT Mobile you do get access to the BT Wifi service so you should be able to access this service using the app.  What does the error message say?

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
darkshadow1111
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

The error message says "Unknown problem. There's an unexpected error causing a problem. Either try again or if problems persists, please try closing and restarting the app"

I've obviously done what the message advised (several times) but still doesn't work and the same message pops up.

Also to the reply above my BT ID is an email and it works on the BT website as well as on MYBT app and BT sport mobile app...its jist the BT wifi app thats not working...also earlier on I went out and tried to manually connect to a BT openzone and it didn't work. I don't know what to do.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@darkshadow1111  Thanks for getting back to me, if you login to MyBT and click on manage extras is BT WiFi showing in this section?

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
darkshadow1111
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

I don't even see the "manage extras" option anywhere both on the app as well as online when I log into My BT. When I scrolled down in the website all I see is a 'your package' section and only BT SPORT is highlight in that section which is weird since Mobile is not highlighted and I'm on a mobile contract ( other options not highlighted are broadband,landline, TV - which I guess is normal because they're not in my contract plan). Just above there's a button I can click which says "view package" when I click it it only says BT SPORT underneath
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hi @darkshadow1111  and thanks for posting.

This doesn't sound right. We'll need to take a closer look at his for you. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team.
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Once you send over the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
darkshadow1111
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Than you.

I've replied to your private email with as much information as I could give

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Thanks @darkshadow1111 ,

The details will drop into our queue and one of the mods will be in touch over the next few days.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings