cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twomercs2147
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

FREE WIFI AT CAMPING AND CARAVAN CLUB SITES

When I signed up for BT broadband one of the main attractions was that free wifi would be available to BT customers at C&C Club sites. So far I have tried recently to connect at four C&C club sites with no luck, the only way I could connect was by buying expensive vouchers. For instance if you search BT Hotspots for Dartmouth it says that the C&C Club site at Stoke Fleming is a BT Hotspot - I stayed there last week and the only way I could get Wifi there was to buy vouchers at £2 a day!!!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: FREE WIFI AT CAMPING AND CARAVAN CLUB SITES

Did the wifi network actually say BT wifi or BT FON? If it did, then there would have been an option for BT Broadband customers, provided they were opted in.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 11

This is a conundrum. BT WiFi hotspots show this:

Capture.JPG

The purple marker indicates a BT WiFi premium hotspot, which seems to be the new designation for the former Openzone-B hotspots at business premises like Starbucks, and thus should be free to opted-in BT BB customers. On the other hand WICOMS is a paid-for provider which operates at most C&C Club sites.

It could be that the BT WiFi hotspot finder is out of date. Try ringing the BT WiFi helpline 0800 022 33 22 to see what they have to say.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
twomercs2147
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

No - there was no option for BT even though, as I said earlier, if you search BT Hotspots it comes up that it is a Wifi Hotspot - I suspect that the sites need to opt in their WiFi to BT?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

Opting-in only applies to residential customers as far as I'm aware. There could be a residential hub on the site which is opted-in but not switched on or has its SSID hidden, but that wouldn't account for the purple marker.

I think you'll have to go to BT for a reliable explanation; the free number posted earlier should be able to help. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
twomercs2147
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

This is a recent press release from BT re C&CC Wifi

Happy Campers to Get Wi-Fi!

BT Openzone will provide Wi-Fi access at major UK holiday and leisure parks including 77 Camping and Caravanning Club sites, three Pontin's sites plus locations at Coastfields Leisure sites in Skegness through a new partnership with Wicoms it announced today.

With more Brits opting for a 'staycation' this summer, the anticipated 50,000 visitors expected at the sites over the August bank holiday can surf, game or make cheap VoIP calls regardless of the weather. BT Openzone users can use any wireless-enabled device to connect to the service via the BT Openzone landing page.

Chris Bruce, general manager, BT Openzone said: "Having the option to get online and stay entertained will provide a useful 'plan B' if the weather does its worst, and being able to look up tourist information and hunt out local gems will make for a better trip."

The service is inclusive/at no extra cost for 4.8 million BT broadband customers with inclusive BT FON Wi-Fi minutes, BT Openzone subscribers, plus O2 iPhone and mobile broadband users with inclusive Wi-Fi minutes in their contracts. Other users can buy a BT Openzone voucher online at www.btopenzone.com, with access from as little as ½p per minute.

Simon Davies, chief technology officer, Wicoms, said: "Lots of Brits have stayed in the UK rather than head overseas this year. Families tell us that holiday sites are another location where they want to get online. Teenagers and gadget addicts are set to be heavy users."

BT is seeing huge demand for Wi-Fi in the leisure and hospitality sector. Customers can also connect at more than 400,000 residential and commercial hotspots in the UK and Ireland including BAA airports, BA lounges, Cafe Nero, Hilton, Thistle and Ramada Jarvis hotels and Starbucks coffee stores.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

Well, that seems clear enough and you certainly seem to have cause to ask what's going on. This forum is essentially for customers to help each other though, and posts do not automatically get seen or actioned by BT staff. If customers draw a blank queries can be referred to BT, and I think that's what you may need to do.

Before you do however, it's as well to bear in mind that some individual customers have had difficulty logging in to BT WiFi. Did you actually try or were you just told that you would have to pay? If you tried what exactly happened?

--
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

According to the C & CC site Here wifi is available at many of their sites but it is through a company called Site Wifi no mention of it being free.

According to the BT Wifi site there are other hotspots on the site, see screen shot BT Wifi Dartmouth CCC.GIF

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
twomercs2147
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

I realise that the C&CC site mentions WiFi but not free WiFi, but the press release from BT (see earlier post) does mention it. As to the other reply re contacting customer services - I have tried it before and find it a bit of a waste of time, mainly as the people I have spoken to have English as a second language!!! I will write a letter to BT.

0 Ratings
devildog
Message 10 of 11

Hi
I have tried to connect to BT Wi-Fi at a caravan park in Norfolk. The site does offer Caravan Connect which is a chargeable service, but I already pay for WiFi through BT and my mobile service, so why should I have to pay three times? I can occasionally get through on BT, but the Wifi connection site continually seems to log me out and direct me to the paid service. If I try to forget the Caravan Connect wifi it simply keeps popping up, and breaking the BT Wifi connection.

Is this caused by some clever programming by caravan connect, or us this something to do with the BT service being intermittent, and then looking for the next or strongest signal. The whole thing is very frustrating, as I can get a good signal outside a supermarket 7miles away which works perfectly.

The BT nearest hotspot is The Isle of Wight according to the BT app, so this is also very confusing as the hotspot info is patently totally inaccurate, and ehy would I drive from Norfolk to the Isle of Wight for a signal?

0 Ratings