Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forumuser1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Failure to upload and meaning of file tag symbols

Go to solution

Hi I'm a new user of BT Cloud and can't understand why it takes so long for files and folders uploaded to the BT Cloud to be available on my other logged in machines or to show when logged into the BT Cloud website - I'm talking hours and my connection is fine with 50M speeds.  When I look at the my Finder (Apple Mac) BT Cloud folder they show as there but have don't have the little green tick beside them only a symbol which appears to indicate uploading is in progress which leads me to the second part of this post; what do the different file tag symbols mean?  I'm currenlty seeing a black background with two curved arrows which I suspect means uploading in progress but I'm guessing and none of the BT Cloud help files, that I've found, tell me.

Can anyone help me?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Failure to upload and meaning of file tag symbols

Go to solution

Hi @forumuser1

Welcome back and thanks for posting!

Sorry for the problems you're having using BT Cloud.

@JoeV is knowledgeable in this area and would be able to offer you the best advice.  I'm sure he'll post when he's back Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @forumuser1,

I've included a screenshot from our help pages that explains what the icons mean. This is from the Windows section, but the Mac icons mean exactly the same thing, they're just in Mac colours.

You can find more information on how BT Cloud works by on this page (which you can also get to by clicking the 'Help' button within the app): http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56970/~/getting-started-with-bt-cloud

In terms of upload speed, there's actually a lot more than just transmitting the file that needs to happen for your content to appear in BT Cloud:

• First, we scan the file to see if it already exists in BT Cloud. If it does, we don't reupload it
  • Then, we securely upload the file to our servers
  • On our servers, we scan it for viruses and malware.
  • Next, we generate 'alternates' for the file. This includes things like thumbnails if it's a picture or video, and transcodes in various media formats and quality levels for videos and music,so the file will play back without hassle on all your connected devices. Note that these 'alternates' don't use up any of your storage
  • We then generate 'metadata' for the file, to describe what it is.
  • Finally, we copy all the data across to our back-up datacentre, to ensure there's two copies of the file available - to protect it from loss against meteor strikes / godzilla attacks, etc 🙂

We do have lots of improvements in our software pipeline to increase the upload speed further, and i expect you'll see it grow over the next few months.

Thanks,

Joe

Folder overlay icon description.PNG

BT Cloud ExpertJoeV
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Cloud. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, on BT Cloud queries. Go here for more info.
forumuser1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for the information @JoeV.  When I right click, select Share then BT Cloud share I get a window which reads "Copy and sync this file to all your devices, or send to to an already backed up folder [the two to's are there!]" but when I try to select one my already backed up folders it won't let me, it only allows copying to BT Cloud (I suppose the root directory), so I CAN'T back up to an already backed up folder!  Is this me and finger trouble or the BT system's problem?

Richard

0 Ratings
forumuser1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks.  I've got another issue which relates to the fact that when I open a document from the BT Cloud on my imac desktop I can edit it normally but when I, on my iphone, or my wife, on her ipad, tries to open and edit we.....well........can't.  The document sits there looking very pretty but stubournly refuses to be edited.  Further, the iphone and ipad app seems to not permit opening docs in they're native applications.  Why on earth not!!!!!

I received a very detailed and technical description of how things work from the last person to reply to my original post and I doubt not of his expertise, but its of no help to us lesser mortals who have to suffer these very frustrating inconveniences.  How does one upload to an iphone from bt cloud a document in such a way as to have it load into the word processor or whatever app was used to create it in such a way that it can be edited?

0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @forumuser1,

BT Cloud for Android does offer this feature, but I'm afraid the BT Cloud iOS app doesn't currently support 'handing off' stored documents to other iOS apps for editing. One of the main causes this feature is not currently on iOS is that Apple have much tighter guidelines than Android for how third party cloud apps (like BT Cloud) can integrate with other apps. It is something we're looking to add in the future.

Thanks,

Joe

BT Cloud ExpertJoeV
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Cloud. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, on BT Cloud queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
forumuser1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Forgive the very long delay in replying.

Ah........I understand.  I guess it must be frustrating for you who know these things, having to put up with our moans and groans.  I should have guessed Apple would be there somewhere.  Okay I'll sit tight and wait!

R

0 Ratings
forumuser1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

On another matter.  I'm seeing a red triangle with an exclamation mark in it on one of my folders but when I go into that folder none of the files are similarly marked so I don't know what its telling me.  I'm sure you don't know specifically either but what, in general, dos this symbol mean?

R

0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @forumuser1,

Are you seeing this icon in the BT Cloud app on your iOS phone, or in Windows Explorer on your PC (or somewhere else)?

Thanks,

Joe

BT Cloud ExpertJoeV
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
forumuser1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

On my Mac in the Finder BT Cloud window but.............its gone now. It was there for a day or so, so I guess whatever it was is fixed??

Sorry to have bothered you.

0 Ratings