cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Nash
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Firewall preventing printer wifi connection?

Go to solution

Hi - I'm new to BT Virus Protect (had BT broadband for a long time before discovering free McAfee) and have a macbook pro connected wirelessly to my BT Hub along with an Epson printer.

All has been fine until a couple of days ago, when I discovered that BT Virus Protect had never been running, so I uninstalled and reinstalled as per online advice, and all seemed well, until I discovered that my printer said it was "no longer connected to wifi".

Could this be because I switched on the firewall facility of BT Virus Protect?  Would invoking this be expected to block wifi access to printers?  Seem a little odd, since surely most customers would have this kind of setup.  I did try tweaking the settings by entering the printer's IP address in the list of allowed devices, but I'm alarmed at all the settings and not sure what I am doing.

Thanks

Richard

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Firewall preventing printer wifi connection?

Go to solution

have you tried reinstalling the printer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Firewalls operate between WAN and LAN, not within the LAN.

0 Ratings
Richard_Nash
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for the brisk response - when you ask whether I've tried "reinstalling the printer", are you referring to the software/drivers etc that I installed onto my Mac when I bought the printer, just over a year ago?  If so, then no, I haven't....seems odd to me as a relatively naive user that every thing works fine for a year, and then the printer fails straight after invoking the firewall, seems almost unfair to point the finger at the printer software when the only thing that's changed is the firewall.  Uninstalling/reinstalling the printer software is not something I'm confident about, do you really think it's more likely to be the source of my problem than firewall settings?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

disable the Bt virus checker and see if printer works

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Even if it is not the cause of your problem my advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTVirusprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems.

There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free and given that you did not have it working in the first place would you miss it!

Richard_Nash
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

I temporarily disabled the firewall, and the printer started communicating again with the laptop.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

That is weird, a firewall shouldn't prevent connections within a LAN.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

There is not really any need for a firewall, as your home hetwork is protected by the home hub firewall. In addition, if you have a Windows PC running Windows 7,8 or 10, there is an inbuilt firewall which protects both incoming and outgoing connections.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

That is weird, a firewall shouldn't prevent connections within a LAN.

The firewall is an internal one, and will filter incoming and outgoing connections to the PC. Not really needed these days, unless you are running Windows XP.  That was when Zone Alarm first came out, as Windows XP did not monitor outgoing connections.

An extra firewall is only going to be a source of problems. In this case its blocking the printer status messages, so it appears that the printer is not online.