cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennniffer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Help needed with Smart Talk

I've installed the Smart Talk app on my Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.2.1).

The BT landline and Virgin mobile numbers have been linked, and successful account set-up confirmed.

I have a strong wifi signal. The app status is "Ready to use".

When I make a call with Smart Talk, the phone of the person I call (0800 or landline or mobile) rings but on my smartphone there is no visible or auditory feedback  (no ringtone, no voice when the phone is answered). Both the earphone and the speaker are totally silent. Yes, the volume is on max.

I have tried dozens of times to make a call but have not once been successful. The Smart Talk app display usually shows just "Calling using wi-fi" or occasionally "Number not recognised".

Uninstalling and reinstalling the app doesn't make any difference.

Neither does turning off the phone and rebooting it.

The problem has been explained to the BT call centre in India but after nearly an hour they said they couldn't explain it nor suggest anything to resolve it.

If anybody can help me get this app working, I'd be very grateful.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Help needed with Smart Talk

Welcome to the forum. If you've been using just one wifi point, see if you can eliminate a problem there by trying another one and also the mobile network. (Wifi is recommended for SmartTalk but it does work on mobile with a decent signal.) If you get the same result elsewhere, it points to a problem with the app or the phone, and I would guess the phone is the more likely as the app seems to be trying its best. The obvious first thing would be a factory reset of the phone, but that's a pain unless you can back up all your data and settings, so better to wait a while for alternative suggestions.

By the way, I notice you've tried calling mobile numbers via SmartTalk; that could be expensive.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
jennniffer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thank you very much for your response. I followed your advice and tried using a different wifi point. Most of the failed attempts had been made while using my own BT wifi at home. I'd also tried, unsuccessfully, with my neighbour's Claranet wifi, and BT Fon away from home. However, I was very pleased to be able to make a successful call to a landline using The Cloud wifi away from home. Poor quality, but it worked. So at least I know the problem isn't with my phone. The Cloud signal wasn't as strong as the other wifi sources, so it's a mystery why they don't work. Still no visual or auditory feedback when using SmartTalk at home, despite the strong signal. BTW, I was phoning another mobile in the house just to check if the call connected since the smartphone gives no indication.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

Do you have someone else whom you could trust to register their phone and see if that's any different? They would need to set up their own MyBT identity. You might get some other ideas here, but otherwise all I have left is to try the SmartTalk helpline 0800 011 3845. BT's helpdesks are a bit hit and miss to say the least, but this one one gets quite good reports. Hope you get it sorted as the app can be a great asset, especially abroad.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings