Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr_Incredible
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

High CPU Usage (Still)

Go to solution

Many years ago I tried to use BT Cloud and the desktop app and I could not prevent the app from eating up CPU cycles.  I gave up using it.

Then yesterday I thought, 'Why not give it another go'!  So I installed the desktop app and set it up to back up two folders totalling 27GB.  It took ages to complete the transfer during which time my PC fans were whirring away trying to keep the PC cool.  I thought it was probably due to all that extra work it was doing uploading and checking.

However, today the backup/transfer completed OK and the app appeared to be sat in the background uploading any new files that I saved in either of the two folders.  When I hadn't saved anything in a while I still noticed my PC fans were working overtime and that my usual 31C CPU temperature was still fluctuating between 40C and 50C.  Strange.  Looking at the task manager CPU usage, it appeared BT Cloud was eating up a full core at 100% and some of the other cores as well meaning on average it was eating up a minimum 25% of my CPU.   Now here's the kicker, when I 'pause' the BT Cloud from the tray icon, it doesn't make any difference to the load on the CPU.

This is my CPU loading with BT Cloud NOT running at all.

5iOHjqF

At this level of usual PC use, my CPU temp is a reasonable 32C...

y6xocwt

Now I will open BT Cloud and let it rest for a few minutes for it to check the folders (in which there are no new files that need transferring to the cloud).  Here's the CPU usage.

CqgdqjO

And my CPU temp...

YFjqnwU 

😮

Now I will 'pause' the App and let it sit for a minute or two.....

u82lzkQ

And the CPU usage is hardly different if at all....

NIoZpNg

And CPU temp, no real difference either...

atg8HSx

If I had a power meter to record how much extra power the CPU was drawing when BT App is loaded (even when paused), I bet it would be more than twice my average consumption that I would use during the day.

When 'paused' the total CPU load on my PC is as follows (max CPU frequency on Intel Speedstep)

RYMemVi

When unloaded (exited), the total CPU load looks like this:

zbU7spM

Is it the BT App or is there something else I'm missing?  I unloaded my Spyware and Antivirus protection in case that was causing any issues, but no, the CPU usage remained high.

Setting the app to "low" priority and the affinity to a single CPU (3), and with the App paused, the base load on the PC is still too high for continual use.  I'll have to unload the app, which sort of defeats the purpose of having items auto backup or sync.

4UWU9Ri

This app currently is not fit for purpose and I would avoid putting it on a laptop running off a battery.

Is this issue being addressed at all?  I hope so because at this rate it may be another 8 years before I try it again!  Disappointing.

Now if the BT Cloud service could accept an SFTP protocol or other API that could be linked through, all the better.  But I gather that is not possible at all either!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Mr_Incredible
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: High CPU Usage (Still)

Go to solution

Anyone from BT interested in this issues?

0 Ratings
Mr_Incredible
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

😕

0 Ratings
Mr_Incredible
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

giphy (2).gif

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

This isn’t a technical assistance forum staffed by BT employed experts, just BT customers that can share their experience and possibly offer advice based on that , I suspect your particular problem is quite uncommon and so far members of the forum are unable to offer anything useful

0 Ratings
Mr_Incredible
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks.  Didn't realise that.  Thought it was frequented by users and BT alike.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Mr_Incredible 

If you're are still having this problem you would be best to contact the Cloud helpdesk on 0800 500 3114 (9am-9pm Mon-Fri and 9-6.30pm Sat and Sun).

0 Ratings
Mr_Incredible
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Although I never reported the issue it now appears that the CLoud App is working well.  I've got it installed and synciing and with minimal CPU impact. Version 17.3.0.46

Yay!

0 Ratings