cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

How can I sync my files on BT cloud with Linux?

Hi,

I have three windows laptops at home + 5 android devices, but the main computer where I keep the most important files, is a Linux machine. While using the app on windows + android is the way to go. I managed to upload the files from Linux by drag & drop via browser. Obviously, the manual saving of files is cumbersome and impractical; is there a way to sync directories recursively from Linux using commands (e.g. curl, rsync, etc)?

Many Thanks

Vladimir

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: How can I sync my files on BT cloud with Linux?

@boodie Hi Vladimir the BT Cloud service has been optimised for use on Windows and Mac operating systems. Unfortunately, we're unable to offer support for machines running Linux.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

That's very sad.

Message 4 of 4

So I have a setup where I have my files on ZFS mirrored storage on Ubuntu linux. I set up Samba shares (read only for good measure) and mounted the shares as drives on the old PC I have. I then added those drives to my BT cloud backup. This currently works well, but might not be ‘supported’.

I do find the lack of a native Linux port really irritating. I was trying to get the PC and Linux systems out of the loop but that may not be possible. It would appear that even if you could import the ZFS pools on MacOS 12.4 (not supported yet), you still wouldn’t be able to back them up with the BT Cloud local MacOS client 😞

One hope you might have is to migrate your Linux storage to a ZFS pool. You could then import that to the PC and backup directly. The only reason I say ZFS and not FAT formatted disks is that ZFS is far better! Try this with say a USB data stick as a pool first as a trial to see if it works.

hth,

Tim

Tags (1)
0 Ratings