cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jer1956
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

How can we turn off Bt Fon when we have no btinternet email account?

Go to solution

Every couple of months I try to explain  to  Tech Services on the phone that I find Bt fon an intrusion.   They follow their check list, and it says the same thing. Go  to BT WIFi via your account and disable it.   Every time I point out I never setup my Bt account using a btinternet email address. Neither can I add one, and why should I?  When will  someone realise the email address for turning off Bt Fon should be the one registered with the  account?

I also object to being treat like an idiot just becuase their check list has no information anot the lack of a BTinternet email account.  It always the same....am "I" on the right web page?...am "I" putting in the correct email address?    The idea that  any check list itself could be at fault is beyond them.  They  dont  have a way to point out when  the check list fails, becuase if they  did they  would have collected hundreds of failure cases by now....and the BT Wi-fi web page would  have been  fixed.  

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: How can we turn off Bt Fon when we have no btinternet email account?

Go to solution

Have you tried this link?

Opt in or out of BT Wifi, from MyBT

0 Ratings
jer1956
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Have you tried that  yourself......without a btinternet email  account?

This is exactly the "faulty" advice I am  talking about.  There is some collective blindness to accepeting the issue even exists. Its as if they  want to make things as difficult as possible to opt out.   Why isn't it an option in the hub setup?  I never opted in, and a firmware upgrade to  the hub  turned it on.  Again...that is also not on the check list.  There is an assumption everyone who has it enabled opted in...using a btinternet email account. So  therefore they  can opt out the same way.    That isn't the case for many of us.

When  they  decided to  change the firmware and "force" BT Fon "on", they  should have done the decent thing and add the on/off control at the same time. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

This link works fine with a BT ID which is a Gmail address.

https://www.bt.com/appsconsumeraccount/secure/BTWifiRegistration.do?ServiceName=BTWIFI&Action=REGIST...

Bear in mind that this is only a customer to customer forum, and I am only a customer trying to help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Throw the home hub away and buy a cheap router, no more FON, no more BT tinkering with your hub. Simples!

jer1956
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

I have no gmail account either. The world dosn't revolve around BT.  They allow you to change to Bt Broadband using 3rd party email accounts...such  as hotmail, and then  refuse to  accept that  very same email  to  shut down fon.

I'm just hoping form BT themselves read the forum posts about fon  and do  something about. As I said before Tech Support just follow their check list and believe it's perfect, and it has no missing issues that need addressing.  It's pointless talking to  them  about.

It would appear all people can  do is moan about it on forums..and continue to  be ignored  by BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution
This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read Fon is in your terms and conditions and has no intrusion on your service as you always have priority over the connection
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

@jer1956 wrote:

I have no gmail account either. The world dosn't revolve around BT. 

Gmail has nothing to do with BT.

0 Ratings
jer1956
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Neither is Hotmail.....and my Hotmail based ID is rejected. I'm not going to change my registered email service to one I don't use.

If Hotmail is the issue  then it should be on the Tech Support check list. Even  then,  telling people to  change the  registered email  to one they  dont want use is pretty poor customer service. Bt are happy to  take my money and set up  the account with a hotmail ID.  I can  access My BT with that hotmail ID. It's only the stupid My Wifi login which refuses to accept it.  Why add the extra login  anyway?  If you could turn Bt Fon "off" directly form My BT the issue would go  away.  There are so many solutions to  this...but BT can't see an issue which needs solving.

I just read the post where a hub user put his hub in a metal box to  block  fon connections.   I dont know if he's kidding or not...but it reflects how frustrated many are with this  feature being forced on us.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution
It's not forced on you. Just because you don't like the solution doesn't mean you are forced to accept fon.
0 Ratings