cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Uppy
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

How do I stop BT Cloud loading on startup - Windows 7

I have BT Cloud on a Windows 7 machine, but everytime I restart the computer BT Cloud starts up and asks me to login - can anyone tell me how to stop this - I just want to start it manually when I choose to run it.

What I have tried so far:

1) On the BT Cloud Dekstop app under settings i have unticked the 'startup on logon' option.

2) I have looked in msconfig under startup and services options and there is no mention of BT Cloud

3) I have looked in startup items in the main windows Start menu, and BT Cloud is not there either.

I don't know of any other mechanism in Windows 7 that would start an application or service?  Can anyone else assist?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: How do I stop BT Cloud loading on startup - Windows 7

Look under Adminisrative Tools, Services, and see if you can locate the service. Stop the service and change it to manual startup.

Also see http://windowsitpro.com/windows-server/how-can-i-stop-and-start-services-command-line

0 Ratings
Uppy
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Thanks for that - but unfortunately no sign of it in Administrative Tools / Services

0 Ratings
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 20

Hi Uppy,

Following the steps in this article should explain how to stop a program from running on startup: https://kb.iu.edu/d/adlf

Also - If you don't want BT Cloud to run on startup then I'd actually recommend uninstalling it completely, as the main purpose of the desktop software is to run in the background and automatically backup the folders you've chosen to BT Cloud. I can't see a point in the desktop software if you don't want it to do this (but may be missing something)?

On my computers (Win 10 & Mac), once I signed in for the first time I haven't been asked to sign in again. Are you saying that the software makes you re-log in every time you turn on the computer (if so, that sounds like a fault), or are you logging out of the software after using it?

Cheers,

Joe

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 20

@Uppy wrote:

Thanks for that - but unfortunately no sign of it in Administrative Tools / Services

It's possible that the target path of the desktop shortcut is incorrect.

Right click on the desktop shortcut, and see what the target path is.

(I always disconnect from BT Cloud from the settings tab on exit. Ignore the warnings.)

0 Ratings
Uppy
Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm still not able to find any reference to BT Cloud in the startup folder, msconfig, or registry.

I don't want to uninstall it, as I do still want it to make backups - but only when I initiate it.  I am only backing up a limited number of folders, which don't change that often (photos).  When I add a new batch of photos I would then initiate the backup to make an offsite copy.  I don't want BT Cloud starting up every time because a) it significantly slows down the startup time of my PC, and b) to be honest I have very little trust in it, so I don't want it lurking around in the background at all times.

On the desktop app under settings the checkbox to startup on logon has not been selected - so my assumption is that that should stop it starting up.  However, I've now found that I can no longer change any of the options on the settings menu.  Whenever I click any checkbox the desktop program hangs for around a minute, and then crashes!

Perhaps I should try uninstalling it completely, and then re-installing from scratch?

0 Ratings
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

Hi,

Here's a screenshot of my task manager (on a Windows 10 PC). On the 'Startup' tab I can change the status of BT Cloud to 'Disabled', which stops it from starting when my PC does. The buttons on the 'Settings' tab of the BT Cloud app itself also seem to do this, but I always like to use Windows to stop apps from loading rather than trusting them to do it for me. Not sure if this helps you find the setting?

If it's not appearing on your computer, or the buttons in the BT CLoud app aren't working then sounds like a fault. Maybe the best thing to do would be to completely uninstall the software, then reinstall the latest software by downloading it from the BT website?

Hope this helps!

Joe

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Uppy
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Joe

Unfortunately I am running Windows 7, which does not have this Task Manager view.  In Windows 7 the startup tasks are defined in msconfig - but BT Cloud did not appear as an entry.

However, I have now uninstalled the Desktop App, and re-installed from scratch. All seems to be working as expected now (after having set up the backup folders again).  The 'settings' page is now working OK without crashing the App.  Fingers crossed it stays that way!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 20

@Uppy wrote:

Joe

Unfortunately I am running Windows 7, which does not have this Task Manager view.  In Windows 7 the startup tasks are defined in msconfig - but BT Cloud did not appear as an entry.

However, I have now uninstalled the Desktop App, and re-installed from scratch. All seems to be working as expected now (after having set up the backup folders again).  The 'settings' page is now working OK without crashing the App.  Fingers crossed it stays that way!

When you are satisfied that all is ok, each time you have finished your tasks, go to settings >disconnect.

This stops BT Cloud from starting up again when you restart your PC. (You must also disable it at startup from Windows msconfig).

Perhaps this is not an ideal solution, but BT Cloud isn't doing anything when the PC is shut down, so why do you need it when you restart?

You can restart BT Cloud at will when you need it!

Otherwise it will use PC resources..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

@Uppy wrote:

Joe

Windows 7 does have this option.

From task manager view, select View from the top menu, then use "select columns". Tick the PID (Prcess identifier) box. A new column will appear with a description of the process that is associated with the task. You can then identify any cloud processes. If you also add the image path name column, you can see where the process originated.

0 Ratings