Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duncan10
Expert
Message 31 of 42

Re: How to disable BT-wifi and BT-wifi-with-fon

Go to solution

Thanks for that Keith didnt know it as I dont have that type of phone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 42

Go to solution

Its just like many of the "free" Wifi hotspots that you find in coffee houses etc. You still have to register/login to use the service, even though the actual hotspot is unencrypted.

BT Broadband customers who are opted in, can use BT WiFi for free, by logging in with their user details, other people can buy online time.

0 Ratings
Adrienne
Message 33 of 42

Go to solution

Thank you Guru for your advice on disabling the Wifi on the new BT hub. Do you know if disabling the wifi using your instructions is actually switching off the signal from the hub or just stopping its use?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 42

Go to solution

It switches off the signal.

0 Ratings
Adrienne
Message 35 of 42

Go to solution

Many thanks for the speedy response :-)

I wondered how you know it has been switched off and not just disabled from use? I know I can't use the wifi from my mobile phone once it has been disabled at the hub console, but could it be a software switch? Is there any way to tell?

Thank you

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 42

Go to solution

Not sure I understand your question. The BT wifi SSID will be switched off so it will not be seen and available to be used. The Hub wifi signal will still remain with its own SSID and will still be available. The 'physical' (for want of a better term) wifi signal is the same for both.

0 Ratings
Adrienne
Message 37 of 42

Go to solution

Hi, 

I suppose I'm asking, is the hub still emitting a WIFI signal once it has been disabled?

I used to have a wired router, which I preferred. I did not use WIFI at home.

It sounds like the answer is yes. It does not actually switch off?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 42

Go to solution

There are 2 wifi channels emanating from the home hub, your private hub wifi and a public BTwifi or previously known as BTwifi with FON channel. The only way that BTwifi can be turned off is to opt out, your own wifi can be turned off in the advanced wireless settings of the hub. Unless you opt out of BTwifi then there will still be a 'physical' wireless signal transmitting.

0 Ratings
Adrienne
Message 39 of 42

Go to solution

Thank you. You have been really helpful. This is a health safety concern rather than a security issue for me.

I suppose I could switch off the device when I'm not using it. It  takes a few minutes to get going, which would be irritating. I have read that switching the hub device on and off regularly might cause instability on the connection which is monitored and might possibly lower the transmission speed? Do you know if it would cause problems?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 42

Go to solution

Switching the hub off and on is not a good idea, they are designed to be on 24/7.

If you are really concerned, you could always buy a third party router which would not transmit the bt wifi signal and you could simply turn off the wifi. The TP Link TD-W9970 is only about £35 from usual sources and is virtually plug and play.

0 Ratings