cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
estonianboyuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 72

I can't connect to the BT WIFI hotspots.

Go to solution
I can't get BT WIFI to work, the first time that I have tried to make use of this product, which was one of the reasons I chose BT Infinity 2 over other ISP fibre products. I have downloaded the iOS app for both the iPad Air on iOS7 and an older iPhone 3GS running iOS 6. No matter which BT wifi hotspot I try to connect to and where, be it BT Openzone, BT FON or just BT WIFI, the devices simply won't connect. In the wifi settings of iOS, when selecting one of the aforementioned hotspots, it either won't connect at all or will only do so for a few seconds before dropping the connection again. At no point am I asked to enter any username or password, and opening Safari simply elicits the response that their is no Internet connection available! Trying the BT WIFI app isn't any better, as it either states that I need a connection to be able to login, which is what I am trying to do, or on the handful of occasions that it has connected in the app, it's stated on all but one occasion that the login details are incorrect. I haven't been offered an opportunity to download any connection profile. I don't have a BT email address, and so use the username and password that I have for years used to login to MY BT. I really would like a solution to this if at all possible, as when travelling around the UK is exactly the time when I need this service the most. I had none of these problems when I used to use the Sky WIFI app to connect to their far smaller WIFI network.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
71 REPLIES 71
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 72

Re: I can't connect to the BT WIFI hotspots.

Go to solution

Check that you are opted in to BTWifi and that the log on details you are using are correct.

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do;jsessionid=f2LnJQMf3tthlQQrv6GXt1HH0D2N3C9mqVH9vpnQzMrtsYy0...

Have a look at this link to connect to BTWifi

https://www.btwifi.co.uk/help/login-with-bt/connect-using-your-mobile-device.jsp

If you have downloaded the BTWifi app, when you set the app up you should enter your BTID, the one you log onto MyBT with which should be a BT email address, and the password.

See link to set up BTID

https://www.bt.com/appsprofile/registration/signup.do?addAccountMandate=Y&s_cid=con_FURL_consumersig...

0 Ratings
estonianboyuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 72

Go to solution
I have tried all that you have recommended above. On following the link to check BT WIFI status and on entering the same BT ID username and password with which I have been able to enter the MY BT section of the BT website for years, it simply states username/password not recognised. I even set up a BT Internet email address, as it repeatedly asks for an email address for the BT ID username. Entering that with the password still makes no difference. Should I try to set up a new BT ID, is that even possible?
0 Ratings
estonianboyuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 72

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 72

Go to solution

Don't set up a new BTID. Have a look at this link, message 7, to see how to make your BTID and BTMail username and passwords the same. Make sure you use a @btinternet.com email address. Once you have done that you should be able to access BTWifi.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Apps-and-Extras-from-BT/Unable-to-log-onto-BT-wifi-hotspots/td-p/1387397

0 Ratings
estonianboyuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 72

Go to solution
Followed the steps listed in the posting directly above, and when using the BT WIFI test login using a link from the first reply, it still says that I have an invalid username/password. I've changed the BT ID to the btinternet.com email address, as well as synchronising the passwords (which doesn't sound like a good idea) and nothing's changed. I suspect this problem may have come about because my old BT ID was ancient, having used it for years and years to access my BT bills, and when I signed up for BT broadband as well, the two different login systems didn't merge, which if true seems incredible, as I certainly had no such problems with my previous ISP's WIFI offering! There must be a solution!
0 Ratings
estonianboyuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 72

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 72

Go to solution

I agree that having the two passwords the same is a security issue but that is how BT want it at present.

As regards the problem with you trying to access BTWifi the moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 72

Go to solution

Hi Estonianboyuk,

I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
barfootp
Message 10 of 72

Go to solution

I'm having similar problems in that I cannot connect to BT Wifi hotspots either using the BT Wifi app or through my device's settings.

I have recently switched to BT Broadband from another provider but I have been a BT telephone customer for years so have a BT ID that is not a BTInternet email address. Is this the issue? Do I need to set up a BTInternet email address and then make that my BT ID?

Any help welcomed.

Thanks

PB

0 Ratings