cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 21 of 72

Re: I can't connect to the BT WIFI hotspots.

Go to solution

Interesting! When I had finished posting the above and returned to my email inbox, I found an email from BT. This is the opening paragraph:

Welcome to BT Wi-fi

You're now part of the world's biggest wi-fi community and you can start using your unlimited wi-fi minutes in the UK and, through our exclusive partnership with Fon, around the world too. Please keep your BT Home Hub switched on for the next few days so we can add you to the network.

Now, I received the same message when I registered for WiFi some time ago. But the receipt of the message again today suggests that something has changed, so — in accordance with the last sentence of the above paragraph — I shall wait for a few days and try connecting again.

Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this conversation.

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 22 of 72

Go to solution

Thanks once more. Those are really useful instructions. Our postings seem to have crossed somehow; my previous one is on the next page.

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 23 of 72

Go to solution

Or on the previous page, it seems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 72

Go to solution

Hopefully it will work but in any event post back with an update.

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 25 of 72

Go to solution

Well, the email from BT confirming that I was now signed up for BTWiFi said 'a few days'. How long is a piece of string? As instructed, I have kept my home hub switched on all the time. But it has now been 6 days, and I still cannot connect to BTWiFi-with-FON. What now?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 72

Go to solution

To try and establish where the problem may be:-

Try ONE reset of your Homehub.

Have you tried connecting to another BTWifi signal other than to your own Homehub's BTWifi signal?

Have you tried connecting another device to the BTWifi signal?

Do you see the BTWifi signal?

How are you connecting?

Are you using the guide I posted earlier?

What exactly happens or doesn't happen when you try to connect?

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 27 of 72

Go to solution

Thanks again for your quick response, gg30340.

'Try ONE reset of your Homehub': if you mean switching it off and on again and waiting till it stabilizes itself, yes, I have done that. But surely that cannot have any effect when I am trying to connect my mobile phone to BTWiFi away from home? But I shall try this again when I have finished this post.

'Have you tried connecting to another BTWifi signal other than to your own Homehub's BTWifi signal?' That is precisely what I have been posting about. I want to be able to connect to BTWiFi away from home, I have signed up for it, but I cannot connect. (I have no difficulty connecting to non-BT WiFi signals at College or in cafés, etc., when i have been given the appropriate password.)

'Have you tried connecting another device to the BTWifi signal?'  No, I am afraid I have no other portable device than my iPhone.

'Do you see the BTWifi signal?' Yes, when I am near a BT hotspot I see the BTWiFi signal on my iPhone in Settings > WiFi.

'How are you connecting?' By choosing Settings > WiFi and tapping BTWiFi or BTWiFi-with-FON. 

'Are you using the guide I posted earlier?' I have looked back at the earlier posts in this string. I have found the link to BT. I have used that link to verify that I am signed-up for BTWiFi and FON, and I am signed-up. Otherwise I have followed the procedure of tapping BTWiFi and choosing auto log-in. 

'What exactly happens or doesn't happen when you try to connect?' When I tap on BTWiFi in Settings, a tick-mark appears against it after a few seconds. But however long I wait, '3G' continuous to be displayed at the top of the iPhone screen, not the WiFi icon, showing that I am connected through my mobile-phone company (EE.uk) and not through BTWiFi.

As I have said above, I shall try switching my home hub off and on again once more. If that produces a result, I shall post that result here.

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 28 of 72

Go to solution

Further info.: I have now found the 'Reset' button on my home hub and have used it to reset it. I still cannot connect to BTHiFi.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 72

Go to solution

Sorry, I should have said that the Homehub reset was only relevant if it was only your Homehub you were having a problem connecting to.

Once you have selected the BTWifi-Fon and the tick appears you must then open a web browser.(see message 20) This will/should open the landing page for BTWifi-Fon. You then log on as a broadband customer using your @btinternet.com email address and password. It is only then that you will be connected to the the BTWifi-Fon network and your wifi icon will be displayed and not your 3g.

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 30 of 72

Go to solution

My turn to apologize: I somehow missed that instruction. I have now tried your instruction. I selected BTWiFi-with-FON in Settings, waited till the tick appeared against it, then opened Safari. Nothing happened beyond showing the last webpage I had opened a day or two ago. I chose a different webpage, and this duly opened. But no BT landing page appeared, whatever I tried to do.

0 Ratings