cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnBergqvist
Contributor
Message 1 of 37

I cannot opt-out of BT Wifi/FON because I do not have a @btinternet.com address?

Go to solution

How do I opt-out of BT Wifi/FON?

It is telling me that I should enter my @btinternet.com address, yet my BT ID is just my email, and my BT Mail section is blank. I've tried creating an address through BT Mail but it still won't recognise it, says the username/email is invalid.

So how do I opt-out?

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: I cannot opt-out of BT Wifi/FON because I do not have a @btinternet.com address?

Go to solution

In theory, by entering your BTID. In practice, who knows, it seems to be a complete mystery how the opt in/out system works.

0 Ratings
JohnBergqvist
Contributor
Message 3 of 37

Re: I cannot opt-out of BT Wifi/FON because I do not have a @btinternet.com address?

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

In theory, by entering your BTID. In practice, who knows, it seems to be a complete mystery how the opt in/out system works.

Well i've tried that and it's saying "Enter valid Username@" so obviously its insisting I give it a @btinternet.com address, which I don't have. 

I don't understand why I was opted into it anyway, as i'd previously manged to get opted-out. Frankly disgusting treatment IMO, I don't see why I should be forced rent my hardware to provide a public wifi infrastructure for BT. My Internet is not a charity.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 37

Go to solution

Not entirely sure why people get so uptight about BTwifi. It only uses 'spare' bandwidth, the hub owner has priority, and is a completely separate network. It is also a very useful facility when out and about. A bit drastic, but you can always use a third party router instead of a HH, it won't get transmitted then.

0 Ratings
JohnBergqvist
Contributor
Message 5 of 37

Go to solution

Because I object to the concept of other people utilising the resources on my hardware, which I own, without my permission. Will BT reimburse me for the cost of the router if I send it back to them then, so I can purchase one of my own choosing? I doubt it...

And why can't I actually disable it from the router's own settings page, rather than having someone flip a virtual switch on my account from afar? It's just not right...

Clearly I have been opted back into an optional service (which I explicitly requested to be opted-out of) without my permission, which I am extremely disgusted about. The whole mechanism with which opting-in & out of BT Wifi is done, is frankly very fishy. Apparently i'm recieving reports that any firmware updates to the router (Which, what a surprise, the end user has zero control over) also re-opt you back into BT Wifi...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 37

Go to solution

@JohnBergqvist wrote:

And why can't I actually disable it from the router's own settings page, rather than having someone flip a virtual switch on my account from afar? It's just not right...

Because it is not just a question of turning it off on your router, it is a question of opting out of the facility to use the BTwifi network nationwide.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 7 of 37

Go to solution

Hi,

How do you log in to "My BT".  If you can log in then you can scroll down to extras, click learn more and disable it on the next page.  If you can't log in then your only option is to get yourself a replacement modem/router, as licquorice has suggested.  If you do then get one that supports VDSL.  Third party kit is much better than the things the ISPs provide.

I just had a look in my account and going to the extras, wifi and following the links saw that it's on.  Who cares?  My router obviously doesn't transmit BT WiFi with FON so the problem doesn't arise.  I have no interest in the wifi thing anyway, so on or off I don't care.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 37

Go to solution

Even if you log in to My BT, clicking on BTwifi just takes you back to the page where email address and password needs to be entered for BT wifi unfortunately. The linkage between BTID and BTwifi seems to be broken.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 9 of 37

Go to solution

Typical.  Works for me.  That site is very inconsistent.  Sometimes bits don't work sometimes they do.  I just got confirmation of opting out.  No secondary login required.  Seems to work differently for different people.  My log in email address is from about 2002 or thereabouts, dialup days.  Wonder if that makes any difference.

wifi.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 37

Go to solution

Since 2009, all BT broadband customers are automatically Opted into BTWifi. It is part of the Terms and Conditions that customers agree to when they sign up with BT, so the customers permission has been given.

You can Opt out of BTWifi. Once you have done that the BTWifi signal is switched off from the Homehub remotely by BT.

All new Homehubs have BTWifi switched on by default so if you have replaced the Homehub at any time you will need to opt out again. I think, but could be wrong, that a factory reset of the Homehub also restarts the BTWifi signal necessitating another opt out.

It would appear that how you log onto BTWifi or Opt out depends on how long you have been a BT customer. In both the following, it only applies to the BT account holder, not sub accounts.

If you have been a BT customer since before the advent of BTMail, ie more than two years, and you were/are on the BTYahoo email system you need to use your Primary email address that you were given/chose when you first signed up with BT.

If you have become a BT customer in the last two years, you would not have been given/chose a BT email address when you signed up but you would/should have a BTID which you should use to log into BTWifi.

Because of BT's idea of having one log on for all its services/billing ie your BTID, to simplify and make sure all the services can be accessed easily the BTID you choose should be your main BT email address, assuming you have made one.

Some people have reported that to access BTWifi the BTID it does not need to be a BT email address but it does need to be an email address.  Others have reported that their BTID is not an email address and they can access BTWifi.

With all that in mind I think it is fair to say that there is no conclusive way to log into or opt out of BTWifi.

0 Ratings