cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnBergqvist
Contributor
Message 11 of 37

Re: I cannot opt-out of BT Wifi/FON because I do not have a @btinternet.com address?

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

With all that in mind I think it is fair to say that there is no conclusive way to log into or opt out of BTWifi.

That's very crafty.

My Router is telling me that BT Wifi is active, and I can see the FON SSID (and also log into it with my bt ID no problem at all - so if i was truly opted out, it would stop me from doing so), yet when I phoned up BT, the customer service rep told me that I was already opted-out, and that it was normal for the FON SSID to still be broadcasting, people just wouldn't be able to log into it... (Weird - because when I was truly opted-out before, the FON SSID was no longer broadcasting from my router).

I don't see any links to opt-out of BT wifi from the "My Extras" page on my BT ID account details.

@I have created a primary/favourite @btinternet.com email with my ID now, but even with that, when I try to access the "Check Status" page, it tells me my username is incorrect - so I am unable to progress any further?

So tell me BT, if I am truly opted out, why is my router telling me that BT Wifi is still active, and that it's still broadcasting the FON SSID which I can log into and use BT Wifi on?

Why won't they let me opt-out?!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 37

Re: I cannot opt-out of BT Wifi/FON because I do not have a @btinternet.com address?

Go to solution

If you can log into BTWifi with your BTID it is that that you will need to use to Opt out.

It can take weeks for the "Opt out" to be transmitted to your Homehub.

The new email address you have created would only work if you make it your BTID.

I suspect you have already tried this but to Opt out see this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi%3F

Go to this link

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon

and check your status using your BTID if that is what you can log onto BTWifi with.

If that doesn't work try the BTWifi help desk 0800 022 33 22

0 Ratings
jaffacake
Beginner
Message 13 of 37

Go to solution

I had to ring customer services in the finish to opt out and yes it is annoying to think someone is using your broadband width as a hot spot,  despite what others say i do not want someone targetting my router from elsewhere in the neighbourhood and using is frequently, let them pay like i had to to Grrr

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 37

Go to solution

If they are using it, they are also paying. They are either BT Broadband customers or have paid to use BT Wifi, it is not free.

Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 37

Go to solution
also useful if your own broadband develops a fault being able to use a neighbouring hub
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 37

Go to solution

I take it by that, if you are ever away from home you never ever use free broadband from any source. You always seek out wiifi hotsposts that you need to pay for or if it is a friend's or relatives who has paid for it you always give them a donation towards the cost.Smiley Very Happy

JohnBergqvist
Contributor
Message 17 of 37

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

Go to this link

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon

and check your status using your BTID if that is what you can log onto BTWifi with.

If that doesn't work try the BTWifi help desk 0800 022 33 22

@I've tried that, if I enter my BT ID, i get an "Enter valid username" message, and if I enter my @btinternet.com address & password, I get an "Authentication failed. Invalid username or password." message.

I've phoned the help desk but they told me I was already opted out, and that even if the SSID was still transmitting from my router (Which it was), I would be unable to log in through it (Even though I was still able to log in). They couldn't help me any further...

So what can I do?

Frankly, this is going off-topic as you're all singing its praises. That's all well and good but I would like to opt-out of it as per my rights, and I am frustrated that I seem to be unable to do this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 37

Go to solution

What credentials are you using that allows you to log in? They should be the same credentials that allow you to opt out.

0 Ratings
JohnBergqvist
Contributor
Message 19 of 37

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

What credentials are you using that allows you to log in? They should be the same credentials that allow you to opt out.

If I go to the FON "Check status page" here: https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do@ and enter my BT ID & Password, i get an "Enter valid username" error message, and if I enter my @@btinternet.com address & password, I get an "Authentication failed. Invalid username or password." message.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 37

Go to solution

You said "My Router is telling me that BT Wifi is active, and I can see the FON SSID (and also log into it with my bt ID no problem at all - so if i was truly opted out, it would stop me from doing so),"

You should be able to use your BTID credentials that you log on with there to Opt out. 

0 Ratings