cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

I want to turn off public WiFi and I am not account holder

I've got the account number and my Dad's date of birth, It won't let me make an account for account holder. It don't match records, I confirmed this account number today. And the DoB. And the name obviously I know. What is going on.

Is logging on to your own router not enough for security approval to disable public wi-fi? They've done this because they know the younger people will be more aware of it and older parents being account holders want nothing to do with it. 

This is annoying, I logged in as account manager for my Dad's account. I want this cruddy public wifi turned off! He has to approve my account. 

What is this rigged foulplay stuff man. Not publicised at all. Dodgey. 

How does he approve it? From his emails? 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: I want to turn off public WiFi and I am not account holder

It clearly states in the section 8 of the BT Broadband BTWifi Terms and Conditions that BTWifi is part of the BT Broadband Package and that the account holder is opted in by default. It also clearly states that the account holder can Opt out at any time.

Value Added Service Terms and Conditions (bt.com)

As regards your comment " They've done this because they know the younger people will be more aware of it and older parents being account holders want nothing to do with it".  That may be the case in your house hold but it is not the case in every house hold nor is it BT Policy. They sell the product to all age groups over the age of 18yrs who are not necessarily parents!

If you check what an "Account Manger" can do you will see that they can not deal with certain items, BTWifi being one of them.

What's the difference between an Account holder and an Account manager in My BT? | BT Help

If your father wants BTWifi turned off he has to do it through his account via his MyBT

How do I opt out of BT Wi-fi? | BT Help

If he does not have a BTID he will not be able to access his MyBT so will need to set up a BTID

What is a BT ID and how can I get one? | BT Help

Message 3 of 11

"If your father wants BTWifi turned off he has to do it through his account via his MyBT"

The account number supplied by phone and his name and DoB did not work.

How he approve my account manager account?

"It clearly states in the section 8 of the BT Broadband BTWifi Terms and Conditions that BTWifi is part of the BT Broadband Package and that the account holder is opted in by default. It also clearly states that the account holder can Opt out at any time."

It clearly states IN the terms of conditions is not clearly stating to customers. And we all know customers don't read that and businesses know it too. Let's not pretend otherwise. Even the businesses sector of BT know this.

How the hell does logging into your own router not justify clearance via a local IP on the browser? Such a drawn out way the way they ask. Clearly done to make it a hassle. I'm not stupid. Psychology is used in all business, let's not pretend otherwise yeah. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

@jonnyc55 wrote:

"If your father wants BTWifi turned off he has to do it through his account via his MyBT"

The account number supplied by phone and his name and DoB did not work. Contact BT Customer Services on  03301234150 who will be able to assist setting up his BTID and MyBT.

How he approve my account manager account? If he has a BTID he can do that through his MyBT. If it was just the case that you can select to be an account manager then anybody could set them selves up as an account manager without the approval of the account holder.

"It clearly states in the section 8 of the BT Broadband BTWifi Terms and Conditions that BTWifi is part of the BT Broadband Package and that the account holder is opted in by default. It also clearly states that the account holder can Opt out at any time."

It clearly states IN the terms of conditions is not clearly stating to customers. The T&Cs are for the Customer who should be read them so it is clearly intended for the customers.  And we all know customers don't read that and businesses know it too. Let's not pretend otherwise. Even the businesses sector of BT know this. It is entirely up to the customer to read the T&Cs. If the customer chooses not to read them it is entirely their fault for not doing so. Don't try and pass the blame for customers failing read them on to the company regardless of which company you are dealing with. I'm pretty sure if there was a problem you would hold the company to their T&Cs if it clearly stated that it was up to the company to resolve the problem or that they would pay compensation in the event of a fault.

How the hell does logging into your own router not justify clearance via a local IP on the browser? Such a drawn out way the way they ask. Clearly done to make it a hassle. I'm not stupid. Psychology is used in all business, let's not pretend otherwise yeah. Your words not mine. I'm not pretending anything. If the customer can not be bothered reading the T&Cs then they should not moan about it after they find out there is something they are not happy with that is in the T&Cs.  The T&Cs are there so that the customer knows what they are entering into when the sign up. If they don't agree with them then don't sign up.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

ISPs aren't telling customers their router is a public hotspot | Network World Incase you missed the obvious of people not liking this and the fact T&C's are largely ignored due to the longwindedness of them, you read every T&C on services and products, every word do you? There you go.  They assume it'll just be minor things, not distasteful features that piggybacks on the router to suit BT. Of course BT know this. How about, tell the customer up front on the phone. What's the harm in that? Tell me. Let me hear what I know.

I will ring them. 

"The T&Cs are for the Customer who should be read them so it is clearly intended for the customers.  "

Clearly, well yes obviously that's a given. Customers are given it but simply approve to it over the phone without reading anything, they never will. This is the case for 90%+ of the customers. Which is my point, and BT know this, public WiFi should be made more apparent Ofcom would agree if they weren't buddies with BT.

"It is entirely up to the customer to read the T&Cs. If the customer chooses not to read them it is entirely their fault for not doing so. "

You under estimate public's willingness to trust. If you told 90%+ of them their router is a public resources and you can turn it off, they'll want to know how.

"Don't try and pass the blame for customers failing read them on to the company regardless of which company you are dealing with."

Don't try and cover for BT and companies that clearly employ these psychological engineering measures to get what they want, and done by purpose, and you blame customers, that they try and slip their radar, in the name of profits and to avoid legality issues. I don't know how much proof of that you need in the real world, but it's very obvious to most that making things small print to hide payloads that suit them is very much a big thing. 

You can not expect customers to read T&C of everything they do. The T&C is DESIGNED to be fatiguing to read. 

You ignore the intent of these companies to conceal things that favour them and to make it harder for customers to know the full story. You then BLAME customers for not bothering to read T&Cs when these companies KNOWINGLY hide these things becuase they know more customers would turn public-wifi off if this was present in NORMAL WORDING on the phone. Tell me, why BT don't mention this clearly on the phone? And that they put it in T&C's? Go on, what do you think, why they do that? I tell you why, so the public wifi thing can remain popular. 

"If the customer can not be bothered reading the T&Cs then they should not moan about it"

So you want to put 100% blame on the customer and not the company that WANTS customers to not read it? BECAUSE THEY KNOW people don't read T&C's. Psychological engineering, T&C's are always made long and dull. You think customers read every T&C? 

So when a company speak in their meetings, "let's just put public wi-fi in T&C's and not bring it up on the phone, they'll mostly ignore the T&C's anyway." You think you can just ignore the company's blame? You expect people to watch their backs and read every T&C they come across?  Survival of the fittest yeah? What about letting important things be known to customers. I think the added radiation, possible performance hitch, privacy & security of public wi-fi on router, and using your router to help bump their profits further is not worthy of making it clear to customers? 

"

Essentially, if someone is downloading a file using the hotspot and you begin watching a Netflix movie, the ISP will give priority to your movie and reduce the hotspot user’s download speed.

As such, you should technically not feel any difference while you use your private network. "

-- Is It Safe For Your ISP To Use Your Router As a Hotspot? (maketecheasier.com)

How seamless is this with realtime gaming? Yeah, we don't know. So I want it off, that's a definitive solution for me. So this is important. 

No idea how you think every person would want to read long and intentionally boring T&C's from start to bottom. I think by the time some willing person finished reading 3 T&C's they would of given up. That's where the companies HOPE comes in and legally get away with things... No? You don't think this HOPE goes on in their heads? You think every person has time and energy to read every T&C? 

I need to start a business myself I think, whilst the masses are still weary and my forums can have people back up my company's choices. It's a good world to be in.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Here you go, download I-tunes, BUT, read this Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple first. 

I mean, you never know, they could have software that uses your PC as a peer-2-peer network at all times right? Awh, nah, I ain't got time for that, lets just use it for my music.

Apple: *Big grins*.

Terms And Conditions Are The Biggest Lie Of Our Industry | TechCrunch

"There is no incentive to make these documents shorter as you don’t want your users to pay too much attention to your TERMS & CONDITIONS. "

We all knew this. Hence most people squirm at the idea of it being presented to us. But go ahead, clear BT of all blame.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

I am surprised that somebody with such extensive knowledge about T&Cs and that companies  use "psychological engineering measures"  that you never read the T&Cs either for your own benefit or for the benefit of your father.

As regards you stating what I "ignore" or "cover for" or what "proof I need " or any of the other comments you attribute to me I will ignore because you obviously do not have the ability to mind read or know what another person is thinking and frankly I could not care less about whether or not people read or do not read the T&Cs but I do find it strange when they moan after agreeing to them, without reading them,  when they find out something they don't agree to after the event.

In any event your father can have the BTWifi turned off if that is what he wants and it is explained how he can do that in the links that I have posted.

I don't use Apple devices so I have had no need to read their T&Cs.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

"I am surprised that somebody with such extensive knowledge about T&Cs and that companies  use "psychological engineering measures"  that you never read the T&Cs either for your own benefit or for the benefit of your father."

That's why am here. To rid the BT fon. I don't need silly T&C's, when I heard of openwifi by accident in normal talk, and that's how it should be made to every customer, in normal talk.

So if for example iTunes hid peer-2-peer software on your PC that uses your network for their own ends, you would be ok with this, because somewhere in their 20,000 word T&C it was mentioned? (Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple) and so, to hell with others who downloaded iTunes without reading it? 'No, Apple is in the right...'

This is how it sounds to me.

At the end of the day something quite cheeky as to use our router and its bandwidth(though limited) just to make BT look cool to other potential customers with 5 million hotspots********, whilst potentially putting our health (not settled science, so it's better off), security&privacy (another attack vector, so it's better off)  and performance (can't be concluded, so it's better off) on the line then yeah, I think it should be casually mentioned in the phone call to new customers. 

If BT want to boast about 5 million hotspots, then tell the new broadband customer straight on the phone. Rather than hide it in a ocean of words in a T&C. People don't read the T&Cs because they do not expect their router to be a public wifi resource. Do they hell. It's alarming to a lot of people to discover this.  We think T&Cs hide some minor things but not something outlandish like this and especially from BT, we think they'll keep something like this obvious to us. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

I guess like T&Cs you never read the last sentence I posted either.

"I don't use Apple devices so I have had no need to read their T&Cs."

and there you go again making assumptions about what I would or would not agree to.

I'll leave you now and hopefully your father, the account holder, gets BTWifi turned off if that is what he wants.

Message 10 of 11

I guess like T&Cs you never read the last sentence I posted either.

"I don't use Apple devices so I have had no need to read their T&Cs."

I guess you did not read that i said 'as an example', it should of been obviously an example to you in post before as well. It's showing how inhumane it is, to expect people who install iTunes, or other products and services to have to read T&Cs, showing how long they are, to expect people to read every T&C. People are weary as it is in their lifes, and to will themselves to read intentionally designed boring, long, wordy texts every time they use a product or service? 

I use Apple as AN EXAMPLE. You see that 20,000 word T&C. Would you read all of something like that IF you was going to use it? 

Do you think every person is capable of doing this?  And for everything they use? Do you reckon they give up and then ignore, skim all other T&C at random? 

So BT can shout from the roof tops about 5 million hotspots***** without telling how exactly, and bury openzone to broadband customers in T&Cs. Sounds like you're defending them and thinking customers are to blame totally.

No one expects piggyback public wifi to be in T&C. Like people don't their TV to harvest data. So to save time, T&Cs are ignored. People, don't expect companies to be so cheeky, to make money of people, once they've bought their products. Sounds like you're defending companies purely because people don't read their long dull T&Cs. Companies? Nah, they're good... I think you just loathe customers. That's all that is.

You think companies don't abuse small print? You think every customer needs to read copious legal jargon? You think nice companies can't just be up front? Not all customers can even read well, never mind long legal text. How you support companies 100% sounds like you work for BT or hate people.

Helping others on a forum, when customer's time, reading skills, and energy is treated like dirt and they're expected to be at the beck and call of companies no matter the odds. Woooo, ok. Am I through to Peter the CEO and shareholders department? Yes, I must be.

0 Ratings