cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mummy_T
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Instagram & Parental Controls

We've set parental controls, the filters (which we have customised) should kick in at 10pm. Unfortunately my young teenage son is able to access Instagram and is messaging into the early hours. I know his Snapchat doesn't work - because of the parental control - and I know he's not using his phone data. I've looked at the option to block websites but it looks to me like the websites will be permanently blocked(?)

Beyond unplugging wi-fi or removing his phone, can anyone give me some simple advice on this issue?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Instagram & Parental Controls

Hi @Mummy_T  and welcome to the community.

Thanks for posting about parental controls blocking instagram. I'm sorry you're having problems blocking that service. As with most social media sites instagram will have several URLs so you'll need to try and find which one your son is accessing it via and then block that manually in the parental controls. You should be able to find it by doing a quick google search for instagram url (or something similar). I hope that helps.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Mummy_T
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks @DavidM for taking the time to reply. After an online search I managed to find several URLs (including the one for his account) however it’s still not stopping my son from being able to access Instagram and use direct messaging. I believe he has got an Instagram ‘jailbreak’ (?) app and was thinking this could be the issue? Any further help would be appreciated.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

Old boy's twopenn'orth. Using technology to exert discipline becomes part of the problem instead of a cure. Take the phone off him until he grows up.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for getting back @Mummy_T .

This might be a bit of a puzzle to be honest. We've reported this back to the parental controls guys for advice. If we get an answer I'l post it here for you.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Mummy_T
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for your helpful and positive reply.
We have had several phone calls with BT regarding this, the last person we spoke with suggested a reset of the hub which we did but to no avail. We can’t keep resetting it! Hopefully there will be some more advice soon.

Despite Instagram being on the blocked list and customised filters being on (they’re set to 10pm), I can access my Instagram account and I can send direct messages - I have just sent a test message to my 16 yr old. I’m old and wise enough however to know that bed time means bed time, my 13 year old though will message into the early hours....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@Mummy_T wrote:
 I’m old and wise enough however to know that bed time means bed time, my 13 year old though will message into the early hours....

Not if you confiscate his/her devices they won't.

Mummy_T
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

I find your reply unhelpful and insensitive. My son has bought his phone, it’s not for me to remove it from him. At the end of the day I’m paying BT for a service that, at the moment I’m not getting.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi @Mummy_T,

Thank you for posting. I take it that you've blocked social networking on Parental Controls. If your son is using a "Jailreak" version of instagram, then this would indicate he isn't using the app as instagram intended and that app could be connecting to a url that hasn't been blocked.

You could try setting up access controls that would restrict the device from connecting to the internet after a set time.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings