cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

Is BT Cloud utterly useless ?

I pay for BT Cloud, but since a brief period while it uploaded 200MB of my files, it refuses to work.

IF I open Outlook while it's uploading the pst file, it gets stuck. Seems like pure luck if it ever starts up again.

Often when I boot up it says I'm using 0 bytes. Not just to start with, but continuously.

If I remove and reinstall it, and set up the backup folder again, it seems to zip through about 2000 files, which I assume it realises are up to date, then stops with still 189000 files left to process, and says everythign is synced. Which it isnt. It says Scanning BT Cloud folders, but its just stuck, doign nothign again.

If I open the BT Cloud APP from the shortcut, it opens an explorer folder ??? The only way to restart it once I've shut it down is to reboot !?

IF Iog onto the web version and click on almost anything it says "this isnt availabe as it's syncing"

Now I cant even log on to the web version, it keeps saying that my session has expired and to log on again, then it says the same. Tried different browsers. The same.

I have no faith that my files even exist on BT's servers, let alone are even remotely up to date.

Surely this app works for some people ?

I'm running WIndows 7 Professionalamd have BT Infinity I

Can anyone help, apart from telling me to move my Broadband contract somewhere else.

Thanks

Shaun Southern

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: Is BT Cloud utterly useless ?

I've been helping friends and family work around the foibles of BT Cloud for a while now, but as of 2018 it now seems to have so many problems that I can't effectively work around them as I was previously able to.  It fails so silently too (even the Explorer extension icons don't show backup status correctly) - you have to wonder how many people have BT Cloud running and aren't aware that their data isn't being backed up properly.

I switched to Google's backup and sync app a few months go and haven't looked back.  It's night and day.

I know you're looking for a fix or some re-assurance, but I don't think BT Cloud is going to do what you want it to.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

The simple answer to this question is yes the app is useless but thankfully you can access the cloud from your browser at https://btcloud.bt.com and upload and download without it

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I'm getting totally fed up with BT Cloud.  It may not be utterly useless - but it isnt far off.   Basically, it seems to  let you upload specific files and folders OK - but it fails miserably  to do reliable backups.    The User Guide  explains what ought to happen -  nominate your backup folders, and any changes you make on the PC ought to be replicated in BT Cloud.  Only  the User Guide seems to have been ignored by the developers.  Basically, I dont think that backup works at all any more- changes are just not being replicated. My Cloud storage hasnt changed since early April - but my PC certainly has!   I have talked to the helpdesk in the past, and even sent logs across to the developers in India - but nothing ever came of that.

Basically, it seems to me that you have to treat it as a cloud-based external Hard Drive. You have to manage backups yourself by  uploading  new files manually. Thats OK for static data like photos.  For folders that change rapidly, I  have taken to periodically deleting them from the Cloud... and then uploading them again.  

It's  messy, it's time-consuming  and it's annoying.  I keep hoping that someone in BT is so embarrassed by their cloud offering that the next release will surely put it right Surely ...........

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

@Geoffhailzwrote:

I'm getting totally fed up with BT Cloud.  It may not be utterly useless - but it isnt far off.   Basically, it seems to  let you upload specific files and folders OK - but it fails miserably  to do reliable backups.    

It's  messy, it's time-consuming  and it's annoying.  I keep hoping that someone in BT is so embarrassed by their cloud offering that the next release will surely put it right Surely ...........

I gave up trying to do backups to BT cloud a long time ago, it's too painful. Google Drive on the other hand works like a dream, a lesson to be learnt by BT perhaps?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

I gave up using BT Cloud when BT disconnected my phone line  twice in error and I lost all the files I had uploaded. It doesn't seem to have improved since then. I'll stick to Onedrive, thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 8

Almost completely useless.  Last year I gave up using the useless App as, once when it started, it deleted all the files I had placed on the server - several hours work and not found in the deleted bin.  I persevered; reloaded the files via the web access and now only use it for long-term safe storage - I no longer trust the App.

I have 103GB stored (out of 1000GB) and logging in takes nearly 5 minutes to show me the useless "My Activity" screen that just shows me the same 5 images etc.  I have no chance of using the rest of the space as it took weeks to populate the 103GB, made worse with the multiple failures and time-outs.

And as for "Smart Albums" - that's even more useless for me anyway. The "All my files" is the only useful tab.  And, the service is far too slow (as are both the BT & EE customer websites).

What's in BT Cloud's favour though, is the servers are in the EU and bound by EU's rules; so that's where I trust my important accounting data (pre-encrypted of course).

This service could be so much better and could be a reason for users to stay with BT which I don't think it is at present.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

I have to agree about BT Cloud - when BT inadvertently deleted my account (twice!) I lost all my files I had stored on their cloud - no warning, nothing. Since then I have avoided BT Cloud like the plague.

0 Ratings