Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jerzy1960
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Is BT Smart Talk working

Go to solution

Hi

Is Smart Talk still working?  My bill shows that I have BT SmartTalk inswtalled on two mobiles but I am unable to manage the numbers or add a new mobile device.  Is the SmartTalk service coming to an end in 2018 and will there be an alternative service to replace it?

Thanks

Jerzy

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: Is BT Smart Talk working

Go to solution

@jerzy1960 - I am also trying to find an answer to this. I have spoken to 10 different people at BT and (as usual) there's lots of conflicting information. No-one can point me to anything definitive on bt.com which explains what the situation is.

As far as I am aware, BT is no longer actively promoting or supporting Smart Talk. The service is still running for existing customers - until 'December 2018' (no precise date). It is not available to new customers.

BT are claiming that it is no longer needed as 'wi-fi calling' supersedes it, but of course this is the usual marketing BS from BT.

Wi-fi calling only exists in the UK. The removal of Smart Talk means, for example, that if you are outside the UK and EU (e.g. USA, South Africa etc) then you no longer have the option to connect to wi-fi and use your landline package/minutes to make a call as if you were in the UK. 

Perhaps a moderator can provide or better still point us to definitive information on the future of Smart Talk?

0 Ratings
jerzy1960
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

@xmarksthespotThanks for that.  That is near enough what I managed to work out.  I reckon it's just been stopped as I had it before and it worked but has stopped working.  The main and probably only benefit of BT Smart Talk was the ability to call from abroad so if that is no longer available then I have no need for it and will turn to Skype with a subscription.  Mobile contracts these days have free callling to landlines and mobiles so why would i be bothered to use wifi calling in UK?  I hope that BT come to their senses and bring in something similar to Smart Talk.

Hopefully we'll get a BT response .....

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

@jerzy1960 - just to reiterate, BT Smart Talk is not due to be withdrawn for existing customers until December 2018. I, for one, am still using it successfully currently. 

You ask "why would i be bothered to use wifi calling in UK"? Wi-fi calling enables you to make (and receive) a call where there is no mobile network signal, or a poor mobile network signal. Think of that room at home where mobile calls drop or that urban area with a dodgy mobile signal or that rural area with no mobile signal - wi-fi calling should help with all of these.

I hope that answers your question. There's more info on wi-fi calling here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60450/~/learn-about-wi-fi-calling-and-how-to-set-it-u...

Regarding "calling from abroad" then if "abroad" = "EU excluding the UK" then you can take advantage of Roam Like Home where calls/text/data are taken from your BT Mobile allowance. If "abroad" = "beyond EU" then this is where withdrawal of BT Smart Talk is more noticeable. You could use whatsapp, facebook etc connected to wi-fi provided you have set this up with the people you're calling.

jerzy1960
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@xmarksthespot- I had the app working before on my mobile before but since upgrading my phone it is not letting me register the new device so i have given up.  I'm not on BT mobile but O2 is good enough for covering the EU.  I'm happy to use Skype for any calls to people who I don't have on social media - it's cheap and works well so long as I have data or wifi.  

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Can someone advise the current status and plans for BT Smart Talk please?

I posted to this thread last year to share that BT told me it was to be withdrawn by Dec 2018.

It still seems to be around as I made a call using it today (3 Feb 2019).

Would be good to know what's happening - especially as it would be incredibly useful as I'm making a 3-week longhaul trip in 2 weeks time and it would be a cost-effective way to make uk calls.

So:

1. Is it still working?

2. Are there still plans to discontinue it? And if so, when?  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

The service was withdrawn on the 19/01/19 and the smart talk information pages state that 'Any mobile network calls you make after that date will come out of your normal mobile call allowance'.

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

But the service hasn't ceased or been withdrawn. I can still use it.

It's more likely - based on my past experience - that the date of 19-Jan-19 is just the latest date not to have been met for withdrawal.

So are you sure it has been withdrawn as you state or are you just going by the smart talk information pages and assuming those to be gospel/correct?

Seems like an odd definition of "withdrawn" as I can still use it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @xmarksthespot,

There has been a delay with the withdrawal of Smart Talk.

It was originally meant to be withdrawn on the 19th of Jan but this has been delayed. The new date for the withdrawal is the 9th of Feb.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you.

Wouldn't it be useful if the information on BT's website was therefore accurate and up to date!

Not only would that help customers - a novel idea I know - but it might reduce the dissemination of incorrect information by others, as seen earlier on this thread for example.

As a Smart Talk customer I haven't received any email or letter with details of what's happening - let alone an update. And you may not be surpised to learn that when I called BT today asking about BT Smart Talk status I got 3 different answers from 3 different agents....

Shame that there isn't a decent replacement for Smart Talk outside the EU. In these areas, the Smart Talk info page referenced above is some of the worst marketing spin for justifying the BT Smart Talk withdrawal/cessation that I've read in a while. 

Now, who's taking bets on whether or not 9-Feb-19 will be achieved?!

0 Ratings