cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trinitytrees
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 68

MCcafee says it will expire in 3 days

MCcafee says it will expire in 3 days but i am on long term contract with bt so it should not expire can anyone help

0 Ratings
67 REPLIES 67
NeilO
Message 2 of 68

Re: MCcafee says it will expire in 3 days

@trinitytrees welcome to the community and thanks for posting.  Can you try these checks?

First check that your computer's date and time are correct and that you have the latest virus updates.

Here's how:

1. Right-click on the time displayed in the bottom corner of your screen
  2. Select Adjust Date/time
  3. Check that the time and date are correct, changing them if they're wrong
  4. Now check that the Timezone is correct. If you're in the UK then it needs to be set to "(UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London". It's a good idea to tick any option that offers to automatically adjust to daylight saving time
  5. Click OK to confirm the settings and close the window
  6. Now right-click the McAfee "M" shield icon in the bar next to the clock at the bottom of your screen. Click on Verify subscription
  7. BT Virus Protect will then check your subscription. You should then see a "Verification Complete" message

The "Renew subscription" message should now have been replaced with "Your Computer is Secure". But if it hasn't, then try the following.

1. Click on the McAfee "M" shield icon again to open BT Virus Protect
  2. This time click on Renew my subscription
  3. BT Virus Protect will renew your subscription and if everything's OK, you'll see "Your Computer is Secure"

If this doesn't work and you're still being asked to renew your subscription, try removing and then reinstalling BT Virus Protect.

How to remove and reinstall BT Virus Protect >

0 Ratings
Xtechie
Beginner
Message 3 of 68

BT Virus Protect error message about 15 day expiry

Just started getting an error message about my subscription expiring in 15 days.   Looked throught the forums and tried out the checks suggested - no good.  Removed and reinstalled BT Virus Protect (twice!!). No Good.

System is running Win 7 Pro (SP1 + all latest security updates).

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 68

Re: BT Virus Protect error message about 15 day expiry

@Xtechie welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your BT Virus protect service. Have you tried the renew subscription checks

0 Ratings
Xtechie
Beginner
Message 5 of 68

Yes, I have run the renew subscription checks, deactivated and reactivated my software via my BT account and have confirmed in my BT account that I am only using 1 of the 15 licenses I have available.
At the moment, the warning message seems to have gone away (haven't had one tonight), but not highly impressed with McAfee (especially the new "improved" version).
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 68

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTVirus Protect. It can cause problems on some computers, is a resource hog and it always seems to be one update away from a problem. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

Xtechie
Beginner
Message 7 of 68

Thanks gg30340. Was beginning to come to the same conclusion myself. Used to run AVG when I was with Demon (remember them?) and have had no major issues with McAfee since joining BT until very recently. Considering removing my Windoze PC from the internet and doing all internet access on a Linux box instead.
alanmhor
Beginner
Message 8 of 68

BT McAfee Virus Protection renewal error

Afternoon All,

So this morning my Win10 box started telling me my BT/McAfee virus protection subscription was about to expire in 15 days.  Using the 'verify' option takes me to the BT login webpage. Renew takes me to the BT/McAfee website, but wants me to login with  a Netprotect memail address.   Any idea whats going on?   re-install, uninstall and install all get me back to the 15 days left message.

Regards,

Alan

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 68

Re: BT McAfee Virus Protection renewal error

Sounds as though McAfee might have been pre-installed on your device for a trial period which has now expired. Either way the best advice you'll get here is to uninstall McAfee completely and use one of the several superior AVs available for free download.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
alanmhor
Beginner
Message 10 of 68

Re: BT McAfee Virus Protection renewal error

I should have mentioned that I have the BT/McAfee subscription as part of my BT package

0 Ratings