cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 111 of 366

Re: MacOs 11 compatibility with Virus Protect

I don’t know if this is any help and there are so many previous replies. But following them and using the advice I downloaded, removed, downloaded again.... etc! Like you it was the wrong version but I finally tried again and downloaded and updated - and then I think crucially switched the computer off and on again. until I did that I was going round in circles....

At that point the correct version appeared but not all parts functioning. So again following previous comments I managed  give the full permission as requested, and it is now all working except the Firewall which we all know will have to wait.

Message 112 of 366

Can you download over the top of an existing version without uninstalling the existing version?  My un-installer is stuck in the 'quit unexpectedly' mode and so doesn't function.

0 Ratings
Message 113 of 366

Thank you, I will keep trying I think. At least for a while.
0 Ratings
Message 114 of 366

I don’t know but I suspect you have nothing to lose by trying
Message 115 of 366

I had problems removing BT Virus Protect so installed the free version of 'App Cleaner & Uninstaller' and used that to get rid of the remnants.  I'd been using Firefox browser and couldn't get BT Virus Protect to download the new version until I changed over to the Safari Browser (I think Firefox was blocking something preventing the download).  I then installed BT Virus Protect and found it was still version 4.09 and updating didn't work.  I kept getting the message to allow access but it never changed anything.  Another post emphasises the benefit of shutting down then restarting to get things to behave which I tried, then when I tried to update it worked and I'm now on version 4.10.  I still had to allow full disk access to the programs in the Security & Privacy settings and full time scanning started working, but as mentioned elsewhere the firewall refuses to work.  I guess we'll have to wait for the next update!

0 Ratings
Message 116 of 366

Thank you.  I eventually managed to download the new version after multiple failed attempts and deletions.  The process is a disgrace to BT.

0 Ratings
Message 117 of 366

I uninstalled Virus protect without any problem a week ago and relying on Big Sur for protection until I find out when BT and Mcafee have this issue sorted.

0 Ratings
Message 118 of 366

I've done the same. Tried yet again reinstalling yesterday and still no joy. Makes you wonder if anyone from BT takes any notice of what it's customers are saying!

If McAfee and BT had to rely on Customer Service the business would not exist, I would expect much better from such large organisations. Burying your head in the sand is no answer to an obvious problem you really do need to get your act together. I'm not sure I will be renewing when my current contract comes to an end and I've been with BT for the last 49 years!

0 Ratings
Message 119 of 366

There doesn’t seem to be any consistency in the way to get this to work.  The way I did it was to uninstall completely and then download the older version from the BT website and then click the ‘check for updates’ option.  It didn’t work the first time so I uninstalled again and repeated the process.  The second time it worked.  There is absolutely no logic in it!!  As I said in an earlier post BT is a disgrace although that is probably understating it.  Good luck with getting it to work.

0 Ratings
Message 120 of 366

Raised a formal complaint with BT over how disjointed the update process for BTVirus Protect is. Had a call back to discuss my complaint and Lisa was very apologetic but a the end of the day BT are a the mercy of McAfeee.

She took on board that when you download a new version of the BT Virus protect you don't immediately expect to have to update it to actually get the very latest version. Also she accepted that Apple's recent update to The Big Sur wasn't unexpected and McAfee should have prepared for it. This was being fed back to McAfee. 

Its a shame we can't vent our anger on McAfeee.

0 Ratings