cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Macafee

I'm having ongoing problems with Macafee telling me my Subscription needs renewing at least three times a week.  I go through the process and everything is fine, then within 48 hours it tells me I need to renew yet again.

I would appreciate any advice on this problem.  I use an iMac.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Message 2 of 8

Re: Macafee

Hi @CARTER1,

Welcome back to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with McAfee, can you confirm if your having this problem with BT Virus Protect or another McAfee virus product you have purchased? 

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi Matt,

Thank you for replying, my problem is with Mcafee included in my account with BT in BT protect.

Yesterday  I did a McAfee renewal which worked and I did a full scan, no problems.

Once again today it's telling me I need to renew my Subscription.

Although it is included in my BT package I'm getting to the point were I feel like uninstalling it and switching to a different AntiVirus provider.  I'm tired of having to faff about doing renewals.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTVirus Protect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. It always seems to be just one update away from another problem.

There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Microsoft Defender, Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTVirusProtect use this guide and make sure you use the BTVirus Protect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If you do uninstall BT Virus Protect make sure that you install another AV product or activate Windows onboard antivirus if your version of Windows supports it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thanks again for you reply.

I use an iMac  -  macOS CATALINA VERSION 10.15.5

Which free antivrus software would you recommend .           

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

On my Windows computers I use a combination of Windows Defender on some and Avast on others and find both reliable and have had no problems with them.

I don't have an iMac so can not really give any recommendations for Macs but if you do an Internet search I'm sure you will find various reviews that might help you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for your advice.  I will be ditching the McAfee and replacing it probably with AVAST or AVG.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

Have wasted days of my life doing exactly the same, un installing and then reinstalling...BT virus protect should be a product that does exactly that, surely? this is been a problem for months and yet BT don't seem to be able to fix this. Surely by now either that should be done, or the product should be removed? Having read all the threads I think i am off to buy my own anti- virus and reconsider my allegiance to BT!

0 Ratings