cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Mc caffee web protect

Do I need web protect from Mc caffee on my new Acer Chromebook514, as I have been told that it has inbuilt security is this correct?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Mc caffee web protect

You do not need BTWebprotect/McAfee on any device, what you do need is some form of antivirus/malware protection.

Chromebooks come with inbuilt protection but it is not guaranteed to give you 100% protection from all attacks to your device.

I would suggest that you do an Internet search on " do chromebooks require antivirus"  and have a read through the results then make up your mind whether or not to install some form of protection.

What I would say is my advice and that of others on the forum would be not to install l BTVirus Protect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. It always seems to be one update away from another problem. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 9

Is there such a thing as an AV program for Chromebook? I don't think there is

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@Anonymouswrote:

Is there such a thing as an AV program for Chromebook? I don't think there is

Yes there are plenty - all the usual suspects from McAfee to Kaspersky and beyond!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 9

@gg30340 

I saw them but I found most of them unconvincing when I clicked the links. For example @Carlusha the McAfee one isn't an AV program, the only product McAfee do for Chrome OS is a VPN. That's just an off the shelf solution that doesn't need to be tailored to the OS.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 9

@ROBERT12wrote:

Do I need web protect from Mc caffee on my new Acer Chromebook514, as I have been told that it has inbuilt security is this correct?

I very much doubt that the installer would allow you to install it on a Chromebook. Before I explain, bear in mind that BT Web Protect is just a re-branded McAfee.

If you search Google for "mcafee for chromebook", you will see a very promising advert come up which will mislead you into thinking that such a thing even exists, but if you click on that link you will see the screen below. Notice it doesn't mention Chrome OS.

McAfeeTP.jpg

Also, if you search the Mcafee website for products designed for Chromebook you will find that there is only one, namely McAfee Safe Connect VPN which of course is not an AV programm and I'll refrain from expressing my opinion on how outrageously expensive it is and the value for money (if any) that it offers.

McAfeeSC.jpg

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 9

Hello @gg30340,

@gg30340wrote:

Chromebooks come with inbuilt protection but it is not guaranteed to give you 100% protection from all BTVirus Protect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. 

No it's not a resource hog at-tall from my point, it all depends on all on the Hardware 
😉.

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 9

Hello @ROBERT12,

I personally think get it free protected isn't 🤔 good, it doesn't protect you from everything.

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64 

0 Ratings