cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

McAfee Module won't uninstall

Hi

I made the mistake of trying to install BT/McAfee anti virus. It got halfway through installation then told me it couldn't install. I then found it has a conflict with Malwarebytes. I have had MB for years and it is a really good anti malware programme so I used the McAfee uninstall programme to take out BT virus protect but it failed to do so. I then took out most of the thing via control panel but it left many bits of **bleep** on  my pc which I then removed manually.

However (inevitably) there is one thing it will not remove nor will it give me access to it even though I am logged on as admin and it keeps telling me I need permission from admin.

It is the Module Core. I cannot start or stop it and the worse thing is it stops System restore from, well, restoring.

I have tried changing ownership etc to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I might get rid of the thing?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee Module won't uninstall

You may find that it is Malwarebytes that is blocking you from removing te relevant file. Try turning off Malwarebytes to see if you can then delete it. 

If that is not the problem try installing and running the free version of CCleaner. It can remove junk that is left behind and also clear out broken registry files. You will be offered the option to do a back up of the registry files that are about to be removed. I would suggest that you accept the offer.

One you have run it, restart your computer and check to see if the junk has been removed.

If that doesn't help you could try starting your computer in safe mode with networking and then re-run the McAfee removal tool then restart your computer.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee Module won't uninstall

OK. Thanks for this. I will give it a go.
0 Ratings