cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J-W-J
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

McAfee password

• I recently received a notification from McAfee that my virus protection subscription  was about to run out and needed to renewed. This surprised me as my BT contract gives me free virus protection from McAfee. I however downloaded the software once again only to find at the end of the process that my software had been deactivated and that I needed to provide my McAfee password to reactivate it.

It is some years since I installed McAfee through BT. I no longer have the note of the password nor can I remember it. There is no means of resetting the password ( the terms and conditions make it clear that this cannot be done) The BT website provides no advice on this whatsoever. The “contact  us” section of the website makes it quite clear that the telephone helpline is to be used for emergencies only. I am concerned that my laptop has no protection at all and have stopped using it until this issue is resolved. Does any one know the solution to this problem as BT seem to be almost obstructive in providing support at this time.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: McAfee password

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTVirus Protect/McAfee.  There are far better free antivirus programs available. 

If you do want to uninstall BTVirusProtect use this guide and make sure you use the BTVirus Protect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If you do want to continue using BTVirusProtect/McAfee and you can not get through to BT in order to get the problem resolved you could meantime uninstall it as outlined above and if you are using a Windows computer, use the Windows Defender antivirus program that is already installed on the computer. It gets good reviews and in many of the independent tests comes out better than McAfee.

It should automatically start once you remove McAfee.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 12

If you decide to uninstall, then follow the advice of @gg30340  and then download and run the free version of ccleaner to delete all the now invalid registry keys McAfee leaves behind.

Do not rely on Windows Defender, it may be an award winning AV programme but it was broken recently by a buggy Microsoft update. You can google it, If memory serves correct, it was KB 4549951

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Microsoft apparently issued a new definition update 1.313.1687.0 on 16th April that fixed the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

@gg30340 ,

Yes, I saw that in the Windows updates news. The fix hasn’t appeared here yet, but I don’t rely on Windows Defender.....apparently it can be set up to run alongside existing antivirus software, as extra protection, but I have disabled that option. Will look in to that option, though.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

It is not a Windows update. I don't use Defender but apparently users can manually update the Windows Defender definitions by going to Windows Security > Virus & threat protection and then clicking on the 'Check for updates' link.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 12

@Ribblelancs 

There's no need to disable windows defender, the AV part of the program disables itself as soon as it detects a 3rd party AV program but continues to monitor those parts of the system which the 3rd party software do not monitor

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 12

@gg30340 

In theory yes, that's if you get a long enough gap between the BSOD that we all thought had passed into history but seems to have returned since the update I mentioned earlier

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

From what I read you only get the BSOD or your scan feezing when you try to run a Full Scan. You don't get the BSOD or freeze with a Quick Scan so in theory you should be able to get the new definition prior to running a Full Scan. 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 12

I read a rant from one guy who said his machine wouldn't boot since downloading that update but, like I said, he was ranting so you may be right

Edit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/g1by8i/bsod_when_installing_update_kb4549951/

0 Ratings