cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

McAfee to Norton not working

Go to solution

I deleted McAfee off my Apple Mac in order to update to Norton, did uninstall, then downloaded Norton. When I went to install Norton it said it found McAfee and needs removing before Norton will hopefully load.

As far as I can see McAfee has been removed but I can’t download Norton, this is very frustrating as BT haven’t given any notice of the change and now I have no protection.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: McAfee to Norton not working

Go to solution

Hi @Gem4 welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to see you're having problems updating your BT Virus protect to Norton.

If you’re using a version of Mac older than 10.14 you’ll need to manually remove McAfee first before installing Norton. Follow the steps in this BT.com help guide

Please post back and let me know if that works.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Hi Neil0,  thanks for the information unfortunately the BT.com help guide hasn't worked, I still can't load Norton security.

My Mac has version 10.13.6 on it and was different to the pictures.

I was able to remove some McAffe files but apparently not all, could not find LaunchDaemons at all.

I am out of my depth doing this and am not confident surely BT should be giving more support.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Hello @Neil0  I am having same problem as Gem4. Also have  Mac  10.13.6. The BT.com help guide link does not seem to open. Have removed Mcafee with uninstaller but Norton has failed with message " we have detected incompatible software installed on your computer please uninstall Mcafee and try again"

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

I had this same issue and eventually found some McAfee files in Library > Launch Agents and Library > Launch Daemons.

To get to these folders, you need to go the Finder Icon then click GO in the menu at the top and Go To Folder.  Type /Library/   and then the Library folder will be displayed.  Try to find those folders  Launch Agents and Launch Daemons and delete any McAfee related files.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Gem4 and @PikAlien and thanks for posting.

Can you please try following @mog_catto advice and let me know if that helps.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi DavidM thanks for reply,  have now sorted. Received Guide from Norton Lifelock 

NOVEMBER 2021

Mac Hard Block Issue:
Experience When Installing Norton Security Software over Existing McAfee Software

Go > Computer > Library > LaunchDaemons > Type 'McAfee’ >Trash all found Files.

Go> Computer > Library > PreferencePanes > Type 'McAfee’ Search Bar > Trash all found Files. 

Go > Computer > Library > LaunchAgents > Type 'McAfee’ in the Search Bar > Trash all found Files.

Last Step: Empty the Trash > Perform a System Restart.

Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

All up and running now. BT contacted me and sorted it they found hidden files.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Gem4 

Thanks for posting back to let us know you got this all sorted.  I'll mark your thread as solved 😁

Have a good day.

Robbie.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

I am in exactly the same position. I have just had a return call from a BT techie and he confirms that the Norton software BT are now using will not work on a Mac and BT have no intention of supporting that platform......we are basically stuffed!

0 Ratings