cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Guru
Message 1 of 38

Missing Features in BT Cloud

The thread is intended to keep together a list of BT Cloud features that people would like but that are not present.  It is sometimes difficult to keep buts and missing features apart; if posting please try to keep to the 'missing features' subject.  While I can, I will edit this first post rather than adding extra posts as I add extra comments.

BT Cloud is a new service (or a new interface to an old service) so has many missing features; with luck if we record these the team will try to get them added at some point.  I have found them very responsive on the issues with speed (even though they haven't yet managed to resolve them), and I hope they will be equally responsive here.

~~~~~~~~

Sharing of directories

I can share files but not directories.  On the Windows GUI, 'Share' is greyed out when a directory is selected.  On the web GUI, you can select 'Share', but all the options are then greyed out except 'Show Sharing History'

~~~~~~~~~

Multi-select

Normal multi-select options don't work in either GUI.

Expect shift-click to select a range of files/directories.

Expect ctrl-a to select all.

etc.

~~~~~~~~~~

Not enough control of when backup happens

No control to prevent BT Cloud starting when computer starts

Also, it starts instances for ALL users ~ in many cases backup will only be required from one 'main' user.

No pause button to pause backup

No exit button to stop backup altogether

Correction: these buttons do exist, but are in a completely non-conventional place,

after clicking left button on the notification icon a secondary (nonstandard) pair of icons comes up,

if you right-click on the left of these you get a useful menu with pause, exit and help.

These should all appear on a right button click of the notification icon,

and help should be available from the main screen as a button or by hitting F1.

~~~~~~~~~~

Backup of folders from network drive

Don't seem to be able to select folders from a network drive to back up.

Dones not work using either network drive directly, or via mapped drive letter.

~~~~~~~~~~

Easy backup of music files from android

This is available on Windows, and can be done manually on android, but esasier interface needed on Android

Tags (1)
37 REPLIES 37
Guru
Message 2 of 38

Re: Missing Features in BT Cloud

Have you tried disabling it via msconfig so it won't startup?

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 38

I know I could use msconfig or similar to prevent automatic startup, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Similarly, I can (and do) use Process Hacker to stop it, again shouldn't be necessary.

Those aren't options that are appropriate to the 'naive end user' target of BT Cloud.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I can see that for many users the attraction is that everything is just automatic; no need to think.  That might be good for default behaviour, but there should be an easy way from within the program itself to control this sort of behaviour.  Ther's already been one post complaining about the impact of BT Cloud on startup time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 38

@sjtp wrote:

I know I could use msconfig or similar to prevent automatic startup, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Similarly, I can (and do) use Process Hacker to stop it, again shouldn't be necessary.

Those aren't options that are appropriate to the 'naive end user' target of BT Cloud.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I can see that for many users the attraction is that everything is just automatic; no need to think.  That might be good for default behaviour, but there should be an easy way from within the program itself to control this sort of behaviour.  Ther's already been one post complaining about the impact of BT Cloud on startup time.

This is going to be an interesting and useful thread.

I have only looked at the BT Cloud app very briefly, as I am waiting to upgrade to 50GB storage.

The options appear to be limited.

1./ Priority is given to backup rather than storage. (at least that's the impression given).

2./ So we need an option to upload a file, and a separate background backup option.

3./ There's no option to sign in / sign out. This may prevent the BT cloud connection from starting up at boot.

I have disabled BT Cloud at startup, using an equivalent of msconfig in Norton.

There's a similar situation at startup with Microsoft's Sky Drive which is also disabled at startup.

You may also find that this reduces the RAM usage which may be important for some users. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 38

@sjtp wrote:

The thread is intended to keep together a list of BT Cloud features that people would like but that are not present.  It is sometimes difficult to keep buts and missing features apart; if posting please try to keep to the 'missing features' subject.  While I can, I will edit this first post rather than adding extra posts as I add extra comments.

BT Cloud is a new service (or a new interface to an old service) so has many missing features; with luck if we record these the team will try to get them added at some point.  I have found them very responsive on the issues with speed (even though they haven't yet managed to resolve them), and I hope they will be equally responsive here.

~~~~~~~~

Sharing of directories

I can share files but not directories.  On the Windows GUI, 'Share' is greyed out when a directory is selected.  On the web GUI, you can select 'Share', but all the options are then greyed out except 'Show Sharing History'

~~~~~~~~~

Multi-select

Normal multi-select options don't work in either GUI.

Expect shift-click to select a range of files/directories.

Expect ctrl-a to select all.

etc.

~~~~~~~~~~

Not enough control of when backup happens

No pause button to pause backup

No exit button to stop backup altogether

No control to prevent BT Cloud starting when computer starts

~~~~~~~~~~

Backup of folders from network drive

Don't seem to be able to select folders from a network drive to back up.

Dones not work using either network drive directly, or via mapped drive letter.

You will have to disregard my previous comments. It seems that when I tried to use the BT Cloud app for the first time it had not set up fully. There was no access to the help pages.

A section by section read through the instructions shows that most features in my listing are there. Even a pause feature, and of course, being able to quit the app..

For every day use the app seems to be fully effective.

Other users with more advanced demands may find some problems.

The demands on the Windows 7 operating system are low, using little processing time and only a minor RAM usage.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 38

The BT Cloud team are looking at this thread with interest and your feedback will be invaluable guys so keep it coming.

To add this this thread, grumcarrington has reported the following issue (reply about this is on his thread):

Just installed BT CLoud on to my Android phone. all seems to work well.
the app did automatically upload all my PHOTO and VIDEO files, but i'd really love it to do that for music files.

Is there anyway that this can be done? I really dont want select each individual music file one by one.

Stephanie

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 38

Just to add the issue I have been having.

My home PC is connected via a USB wireless dongle, when switch the PC on BT Cloud tries to login before my wireless adaptor has fully booted up, so always get an error from BT Cloud saying it cannot connect to the server. More irritating than a problem.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
LUFCCharlie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 38

Really would like backup of home NAS. These are very common and not at all business tools. Would be a great addition to a good product.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 38

Here's a problem for the administrative experts.

It's fundamental to the BT Cloud system but not to the features.

I am unable to upgrade to the 50GB package, as I am on the BT Total Broadband Anywhere contract.

To recontract or obtain an upgrade would mean losing the Mobile service.

I don't want to loose the BT mobile phone service as it would be inconvenient at the moment - changing the phone provider can take some time and you have to read very carefully into terms and conditions of contract.

We should move to Infinity next year, so perhaps the available packages will change.

One for the Mods, perhaps?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 38

You may be able to buy BT Cloud space?  I don't think I'd recommend it though, there are many other services that charge less for much faster, more robust and more fully featured products.

0 Ratings