Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 11 of 38

Re: Missing Features in BT Cloud

@sjtp wrote:

You may be able to buy BT Cloud space?  I don't think I'd recommend it though, there are many other services that charge less for much faster, more robust and more fully featured products.

Yes, that's what BT told me. (Buy the space).

It's one of those admin quirks - seems unfair though, as I pay more for the mobile phone use already. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 12 of 38

~~~~~~~~~~

format of path ... not enough detail

Where the path is shown in Devices view near the top of the window, it sensibly uses ellision to make sure it fits.  However, it ellides much too much, especially on the web page.  It would be good to see at least 4 directory levels at the right hand end, as long as there was screen space to allow for it, which there usually will be.

0 Ratings
pfinnigan
Beginner
Message 13 of 38

Two big missing features for me are Linux support (I use that on most devices). What is the problem? Android is Linux.

The other big feature I would like is a command line interface. Being able to script your backups is a big plus for me.

In the mean time it will backup my phones photos and little else.

0 Ratings
JackJones
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 38

What seems glaringly missing to me is the ability to use this as a BACKUP service, rather than a file mirroring service.

I want to be able to pick a list of my important folders and files, that will be copied up to the cloud and held there until I decide to do something with them.  This is how Digital Vault works - it puts your files into a secure vault.

BT Cloud simply replicates what your PC has on it - so if you restructure the folders, or delete a file, this is repeated online.

This is inherently NOT a backup service.  It seems to me that BT has taken a tool for letting you play your MP3 files or access your photos anywhere you want and pretended that this is the same as Vault.

Highlighted
stephendreay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 38

I've started to use Duplicati which is a free backup programme which uses some of the popular cloud services (not BT).

It appears to do full and incremental backups and so far so good.

0 Ratings
smami01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 38

I have received an email telling me that the BT digital vault is being discontinued and I must move to BT Cloud.  I installed the BT Cloud on my Windows 7 laptop and I am disappointed in the lack of control - some of which is highlighted in the above thread.

1) I have several users on my laptop and I only want to back up files from one of these.  I cannot selectively stop the application for certain users. It is all or nothing through msconfig startup

2) For the web uploads feature I have not found a way to create sub directories.  I cannot upload a directory only the files contained therein.  I want to create an archive of a very large number files which are old and do not need to be scanned every time I log on etc.

3) I have also found some incompatability with WinZip.  I have a large archive which I was working on (100Mb).  When I looked I found that files had been created of the form archive.conflict.zip - and uploaded to the BT Cloud.  I am not sure when or why but I have to work through these manually to find out which was the correct one and delete the others.

IMHO BT Cloud is work in progress and I am not happy about moving from BT Digital Vault

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 17 of 38

1) If you use MikeLin startup control (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) you can move the startup item from general use to just a single user.  It shouldn't need to be done that way, but at least it works.

2) If you go into 'Web Uploads' on the web interface (or any subdirectory of it), the '...' menu item includes 'Create Folder'.

So you can create subdirectories: but creating and populating them over the web interface is a pain.  It would be much nicer just to be able to choose a folder and have it populate files/folders recursively.

3) The .conflict thing isn't specific to zip files.  I'm not sure exactly under what circumstances it happens --- it has never happened to me.  Conflicts on a replication system can be really difficult (theoretically impossible) to get right, but it appears from other posts that BT Cloud often creates unnecessary .conflict files in cases there wasn't any conflict, or any difficulty or complication.

IMHO BT Cloud is work in progress  Absolutely.

0 Ratings
smami01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 38

Thanks for the tip on how to create folders in web uploads.

About conflict files. I have found out how it happens. I had disabled BT Cloud in start up. Then I found these archive.conflictx files. The file I wanted had been updated and was a .conflict. I renamed it back and deleted the unwanted files. BT Cloud was now out of date. I restarted BT Cloud to follow your advice. In no time my wanted file was renamed as a conflict and BY Cloud downloaded the old file from the web and then started to upload the .conflict file. I am not at all happy about this.
0 Ratings
meddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 38

Just signed up for BT Cloud today. +1 for the suggestion of adding support for network folders/files. BT Cloud won't even let me select individual files let alone folders. ALL my files are on NAS, I don't keep anything on the PC and never use Windows MyDocuments areas for anything, so BT Cloud is not going to be very useful without this feature!

0 Ratings
Risboro
Message 20 of 38

I started using BT cloud and find it greatly inferior to leading cloud storage tools. The missing feature list is rather long. The most important ones for me:
- At a minimum: A functioning mass select of files so I can download them to my PC. (This is how I get files conveniently from Smartphone to PC)
- Ideally, some form of auto-sync (Bi-directional) - Device to Cloud (aka Backup), but also could to (selected) devices.
0 Ratings