cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RussellS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 38

Re: Missing Features in BT Cloud

At the moment I can't actually comment on the features that are/are not available because I can't even start using the service at the moment.

Let me explain. I have recently upgraded to BT Infinity which comes with 50gb cloud storage which I thought was excellent. However, I now find that because I run predominantly Linux PC's I can't use the cloud service because Linux is not supported.

Now I also have a Windows Server 2008 system which I use as a media server and general file server. So, after finding Linux wasn't supported, I thought I could just install the cloud system on the Windows Server and then anything I wanted backed up to the BT Cloud I could copy from my Linux machines to a folder on the server and it would then get backup up to the cloud.

Unfortunately, it appears that Server 2008 is not supported either and won't even let me install the cloud software. So I am completely unable to use the cloud service.

So, come on BT, at the very least support Linux and, if possible, Windows Server as well.

0 Ratings
Hamster-Huey
Beginner
Message 22 of 38

I have uploaded almost 17,000 items by mistake in a recent backup and I want to delete them all from my Cloud. They have all been stored in the "other" folder and I would like to get rid of them all in one go but I have not found a way of doing this. The only way appears to be by ticking each individual item and then selecting "move to Trash" from the "more" drop down menu.

Now not having a spare lifetime to do this is a real pain because that's about how long it is going to take me to delete these one at a time. I have also found that you can only select the ones that are visible in the window as the moment you try and scroll down the page ..... Ooops all those you just wore your mouse battery down by ticking each little box have been unselected... So back to the start and √   √   √  √   √  √ ...... Smiley Sad

Unless anyone knows of another way to do it can I add a request for an option to select multiple items or delete the contents of a whole file?

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 38

Re: Missing Features in BT Cloud - LINUX

Well, I have used BT Cloud to support Linux, but its not instantly obvious. The task was to take a copy of all my pictures, about 24GB of them  Rather than copy a whole load of jpg files (I have many thousand) want I wanted was a way to save them all. 

The limitations: 

1) No Linux install 

2) No use using Windows on a VM, as the Windows version won't read shares 

3) So you have to use the web interface 

4) The web interface is limited to 1GB at a time 

First - Tar the files together, but rather than create a single file (it will be too big) split the files 

# tar -cz /Pictures  | split -d -b 900m - Pictures_tar_gz. 

This will create a whole load of files of the form Pictures_tar_gz.00,  Pictures_tar_gz.01,  Pictures_tar_gz.02 .....

Now you can drag these in a browser (I am using Chrome) and it will upload all of the files.

That gets you a backup of all the files on this date. Its my starting point. Once a month I do the following: 

# tar -cz -newer-time '31 days ago' | split -d -b 900m Pictures_<date>_tar_gz. 

It just seems to upload at a g_l_a_c_i_a_l_l_y slow speed. A network monitor shows that my full speed Infinitity 2, is going to take some 5 hours to upload 24GB. I have carrier pidgeons that are faster than this! 

0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 24 of 38

Re: Missing Features in BT Cloud - LINUX

@AdrianChallinor wrote:

Well, I have used BT Cloud to support Linux, but its not instantly obvious. The task was to take a copy of all my pictures, about 24GB of them  Rather than copy a whole load of jpg files (I have many thousand) want I wanted was a way to save them all. 

The limitations: 

1) No Linux install 

2) No use using Windows on a VM, as the Windows version won't read shares 

3) So you have to use the web interface 

4) The web interface is limited to 1GB at a time 

First - Tar the files together, but rather than create a single file (it will be too big) split the files 

# tar -cz /Pictures  | split -d -b 900m - Pictures_tar_gz. 

This will create a whole load of files of the form Pictures_tar_gz.00,  Pictures_tar_gz.01,  Pictures_tar_gz.02 .....

Now you can drag these in a browser (I am using Chrome) and it will upload all of the files.

That gets you a backup of all the files on this date. Its my starting point. Once a month I do the following: 

# tar -cz -newer-time '31 days ago' | split -d -b 900m Pictures_<date>_tar_gz. 

It just seems to upload at a g_l_a_c_i_a_l_l_y slow speed. A network monitor shows that my full speed Infinitity 2, is going to take some 5 hours to upload 24GB. I have carrier pidgeons that are faster than this! 

I wouldn't agree that it uploads glacially slow, as I've just uploaded a 4.5GB 7-zip file, containing thousands of smaller files in a folder and, of course, split into 1GB chunks. It took 42 minutes so that's about 14.5Mbps. Not bad.

The downside is that we have to use the web browser interface when archiving material, and to split them into 1GB chunks as the PC application is, as others have said, designed for basic small file device syncing and not for archiving.

The least BT could do should be to remove the 1GB web browser upload file size limit - Google don't have such a limit.

The BT Cloud application ostensibly has no file size upload limit but in practice it's impossible successfully to upload even 4GB files by this method - even the file sizes of such files are incorrectly reported - it's useless for archiving or doing say monthly backups - which makes the 50GB storage limit in effect useless too as the workarounds I've mentioned are far too fiddly for most people to bother with.

Shame on you, BT, for providing such a poor and weak-featured product. The 50GB upgrade isn't a freebie (the upgrade requires a new contract) so when are you going to improve it to match the high standards of BT Infinity and make it actually usable for archiving or periodic backups? The Cloud isn't only about device syncing, you know!

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 38

We need the ability to have a separate username and password for BT Cloud different from your BT ID.

The following gives further information:

http://community.bt.com/t5/Ideas-Bank/BT-Cloud-ability-to-change-Username-and-Password/idi-p/828136

0 Ratings
pete_1175
Message 26 of 38

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a missing feature or not, can you sort / order uploaded files i.e. by date uploaded, or filename for example. My photos were uploaded randomly but I expected an option to sort by filename so they appeared sequentially.

Thanks,

Pete.

0 Ratings
jdmcloud
Message 27 of 38

Thanks sjtp for keeping a list of missing features.

My main gripe with the current version of BT Cloud is that it is not a real back-up service. When you back-up files to BT Cloud and delete some on your computer, BT Cloud moves the corresponding Cloud files to the trash folder. A normal back-up service would leave them backed up on the Cloud so that they are safe, regardless of what you do with them on your computer. Additionally, a normal back-up service keeps the various versions of the file in the Cloud when you make changes to the corresponding file on your computer. The BT Trash folder is an unstructured bag of deleted files and it is a pain to move them back one-by-one to the correct folder on BT Cloud, and of course there is no versioning.

I called BT support about this, and they advised me to use the upload feature to permantly back-up files on BT Cloud. However, one can only upload files, not folders. So, if I want to upload my picture folders to BT Cloud and keep the same organization as on my computer, I need to create the folders manually in BT Cloud and then upload the respective files from my computer into these folders. A massive hassle.

It is a mystery to me how BT could have made something simple and straightforward (with lots of examples of state-of-the-art cloud storage services in operation for years) into something convoluted and essentially useless.

0 Ratings
jdmcloud
Message 28 of 38

Completely agree. The BT Back-up service is not a back-up.
0 Ratings
Theoldchap
Contributor
Message 29 of 38

I'm an absolute newbie here having just moved from Virginmedia but BT Cloud is about as useless as Virginmedia's Backup and Storage. It appears to be the same rehashed rubbish from f-secure. Its always going to be fixed but never is. I gave it a try for a few days then uninstalled it. It is painfully slow, clunky, poor GUI, is not a true backup service, I doubt it is encrypted at the server, meaning any employee could have access to your data, definitely dont trust any important files to it. Its basically a con to advertise 50Gb free storage then customers not be able to use it. The only solution is to use a paid for subscription to something like Crashplan. Why BT dont ditch f-secure and have a talk with Crashplan and other professional backup services whose services just work I dont know.

0 Ratings
Barfly
Contributor
Message 30 of 38

I think the best thing that could happen to BT's Cloud is if someone holds up their hands and admits it is a bit of a lemon, takes it out into the middle of a field, and humanely destroys it. You can tweek it for the next 20 years and it still won't approach what anyone wants or expects from a cloud service. 

If BT held their hands up and said 'it didn't work and we're going to bring back the Vault with increased storage' everyone would welcome it with open arms. I would love to know what the thinking behind moving over to this type of service from the Vault was. It benifits no-one and only leads to complaints from customers.

0 Ratings