Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yarrom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Mojave for Mac

Go to solution

Can anyone tell me when I will be able to use BT virus protection software on my MacBook Pro. I’ve been told by BT that the mcafee program from BT does not work and this issue is being addressed. I find it all surprising as Mojave os has been out for almost a year!

Can anyone suggest a temporary alternative?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Mojave for Mac

Go to solution

My advice and that of others on the forum would be not to install BTVirus Protect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

0 Ratings
Dode
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Catalina will be out this Autumn anyway, if you upgrade that is. There is no need for Virus programs on the Mac, there's enough protection built in and the BT one will only cause problems even when it does run on Mojave. You could run the free version of Malwarebytes which is as good as anything. You run the free version manually .

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Yarrom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice. I’ve just accepted what BT had to offer like a lot of people, believing that they would know best and provide a good product. That hasn’t been the case this time. 

0 Ratings
Vivienne
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Ridiculous isn't it, one of the reasons I choose BT is the anti virus which is free, but no good if it won't work on Mojave/Mac.  Ridiculous.

0 Ratings
viewsource
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

For what it is worth, I dont understand the comments here about AV not working on MacOS Mojave, for the simple reason it does on my iMacs and MacBook Air - with no issues what so ever in install, update and indeed operation.

And for those who advocate that there is no need to protect a Mac vs a PC, that is not true but we live and learn and the choice is yours.

Dode
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I'd be interested to know how much malware AV has picked up on your macs over the years? 

0 Ratings
viewsource
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

"I'd be interested to know how much malware AV has picked up on your macs over the years? "

Trying this again as can't see my previous reply...

Not many to be honest, but not none!

Same can be said for my windoze machines, but that is probably because I am meticulous with security having worked as a sys admin, network admin and other roles in the industry, from dos to windows, through early unix flavours, to mac's and so on and a beta tester for some AV programes.

With the right access (aka weak security) it is easy to infect and devistate a unix (Mac) based machine as well as it is a Windows one.

viewsource
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Oh and for what it is worth, I now have a machine with Catalina on too and BT virus protect is working fine on that too.