Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonyla35
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

More wasted time

Go to solution

I've just finished speaking to a BT rep and feel like a rant....

We are on FTTP but still have a copper connection for our landline. The landline has a history of faults so we thought we would ask for it to be moved to the fibre connection. After a 20 minute search and a wait for a online chat etc. etc. we found somebody who would accept our order....no change in the contract, no fee, no number change. Cool. Changeover was to happen on 19th.

Nothing happened.

I tried to contact somebody on 21st and, again, spent some 10 minutes waiting for online chat. The guy did call me back via landline and explained that he couldn't help, he only did FTTC and would I like to speak to the FTTP team.

After another 10 minute wait listening to badly distorted 'music' the FTTP team person responded. Of course, I had to go through the account number, address, postcode ritual every time. He checked my notes and said the order had been 'rejected' and would ring me back within the hour to clarify. 

Nothing happened.

So, this morning of the 24th I realised that I had no contact info for the FTTP team so had to go through online chat again. You guessed it...a 10 minute wait followed by account number, address, postcode, name then 'sorry we don't do FTTP shall I connect you to the FTTP team' which I accepted. He called me back and asked me to hang on until somebody responded.

After 10 minutes of excruciatingly distorted music somebody responded and a slightly bizzare 3 way conversation ensued. My Asian chat guy tried to explain the situation to the FTTP lady but his accent was rather thick and it took quite a while to explain the situation to her before leaving us to sort things out. So after the usual account number, address, postcode, name she said she would read my notes.

'Aaah', she said, 'this is an order rejection problem and it isn't my department. Unfortunately, I can't transfer you internally and they will take ages to answer a phone call. Shall I schedule a call back from them? ' 

'OK, OK you win' I said.

Well actually my response was a bit more caustic. But maybe, just maybe, somebody from their orders dept. will eventually call me back. I feel like playing 10 minutes of distorted music at them while I 'find my pen'. 

If nobody does get back to me then I will give up. I'm not so enthusiastic about the idea anyway now but am interested in why my order was 'rejected'.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: More wasted time

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @tonyla35 and thanks for posting.

I can appreciate how annoying this is for you but you will need to deal with the FTTP directly, it's not something the moderators can help with. Your best bet would be to try calling 0800 587 4787 if you don't get your promised call back.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
tonyla35
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hi All,

Thank you DavidM for that number.

The changeover was rescheduled for today, 28 Oct and all seemed well at first. Tel 1 on the modem lit up and I unplugged from the copper line and into the modem....got dial tone...woo hoo. This was around 10:30.

Rang the activation number and after verifying that the recording had correct landline number I pressed 1 and got the message "Your phone over fibre is active and you can now make outgoing calls. Incoming calls will be activated in about 50 minutes"

Nothing happened.

2 hours later I rang 0800 587 4787. After 10 minutes of music and messages telling me BT were ever so busy I got a response. Explained the issue to the lady. Reply:

"That is because your order was rejected and you are still on the copper connection"

"No I am not, I just changed it over myself"

"Yes you are"

"No, I'm not"

This went on for a while but she agreed to put me through to FTTP tech department where a nice person listened to me and noted my mobile number...he understood that incoming call activation on the landline was screwed. 'I'll do some checks and call you back in a few minutes'

Nothing happened

By 16:00 on a Friday afternoon I was getting worried. In the meantime I tried a spare phone (bought since the BT debacle of a week or so back) on the copper landline. Still working as normal.

So, dial tone and outgoing calls on fibre, normal both ways over copper, with the same number....strange.

So I rang 0800 587 4787.

Nothing happened.

After 32 minutes of ring tone and recorded apologies I tried online chat. The nice Asian lady rang me on my mobile and promised to put me through to FTTP team quickly. She set up the call and left me to it.

Nothing happened.

Then I noticed at the bottom of my activation email: 'Call 0800 111 4567 if you'd prefer to talk to someone.'

So I did. A Hal-like voice asked me to explain the reason for calling. I tried to talk to this machine but it didn't understand anything I said. Eventually, Hal presented me with some options...none of which were relevant, I especially didn't want to purchase more cool new BT products and I didn't want to go to the BT website again. After 30 seconds or so of my silent pondering ring tone started and a nice guy responded.....'BT mobile fault reporting', he said. Which was odd since it was the number given by the FTTP activation email. I went through the now familiar name-number ritual to assure him I was me,  explained everything to him and he promised to put me through to the BT team.

This time it worked...oh the joy! I was almost in tears.

The person who answered apologised, he seemed very sincere. But even better, he listened, he understood my plight and he took my mobile number. 'Please don't go away...please don't leave me, I need you' I said. Or that is what I thought anyway.

He did go away to 'do some checks' but he did come back. What a hero! We stayed in contact for some 30 minutes while he tried to unravel the problem.

But in the end even he had to admit defeat. It was Friday afternoon wind-down time after all.

But he did raise an 'engineering issue' and said that his boss was on it now. Hopefully, the saga will continue next week.

At least we still have our copper landline and half a fibre phone service. Wish me luck...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Changes to network routing are normally done by the end of the day. Its an automatic task which woulld be queued.

You have the outgoing bit working, its just a case of the incoming routing being poted over.

tonyla35
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks, the eventual verdict was 'porting issue' but I was told that it would have to wait until 'Early next week'. Nobody mentioned the possibility it might happen later today. Fingers crossed.

But really, my rant was about being sent around in circles by a company who claims to be in the business of communication. For starters, call waiting times are unacceptable and call queue handling could surely be improved. These days even small businesses often have a 'Call you back' queuing system
0 Ratings
tonyla35
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Keith,

You were correct, I just (21:50) tried outgoing calls from the fibre phone and it is now all working fine.

The question is...why couldn't BT FTTP support have told me this when I first contacted them? Why did they respond as if it were something they had never experienced before? It would have saved me and them a lot of time and frustration.

Should have come here first, I guess. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

It would have been in the hands of BT  TSO, so  FTTP support would not be involved, and would not have visibility of the queued robotic task.

0 Ratings