Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
nm63uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 44

My BT ID and Bt Wifi

Go to solution

I'm not absolutely certain this is the right place butI've noticed other people have posted about Wifi here, so I shall too.

Quote from the BT site - "If you ordered BT Broadband after 3 September 2013, your BT Wi-fi username is the BT ID you created when you joined BT Broadband. It can be used to log into My BT and all your available extras that come with BT Broadband including BT Wi-fi, BT SmartTalk and BT Cloud."

I can safely say that as My BB with BT does not start for 4 days, that I ordered it long after 3 sep 13. BT have told me I can start using BT hotspots and wifi with fon right away and I have been trying for a fortnight now, with now luck. 

So, I have my BT ID, it is the primary ID, I can log in to 'My BT' on the BT website but not in the Wifi apps (Neither Android or ios) or into BTWifi.com.

Everything I've read says I should use my BT ID login info but it simply does not work. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? 

TIA, Neil πŸ˜„

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 44

Re: My BT ID and Bt Wifi

Go to solution

Leaving aside the security issues about using the same username and password, BT want your BTID user name and password to be the same as your BT email address and password.

See link http://www.bt.com/static/wa/account/bt-id-explained/

To log onto BTWifi with your BTID it, your BTID, has to be your @btinternet.com email address.

To change your BTID you need to:

Log onto MyBT

Go to My Profile

Go to My Contact Details > Edit

Change email address to your  xxxx@btinternet.com

Enter present password for your current BTID

Click Save

Go to My security details

Click on Password > Edit and change to the same as your xxx@btinternet.com email password

Enter present password and click save,

Your BTID is now the same as your xxxx@btinternet.com email address and password.

This now how you will log onto MyBT, BTWifi, BT Sport and your xxxx@btinternet.com email.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 44

Go to solution

Which means that BT are incorrect in saying that BT WIFI can be used before the account is activated as you can't set up an xxxx@btinternet.com address until the order is complete.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 44

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 44

Go to solution

I believe that BT used to give a temporary username and password so that you could log onto BTWifi while you were waiting for your BT account to activate.

The BTWifi help line 0800 022 33 22 may be able to help.

0 Ratings
nm63uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 44

Go to solution

So, they have simply lied to me. I've been wasting my time trying to connect. My BT ID is my name, not an email address, I've been with BT for phone for many years and created a BT account when BT started their website. It still works on the website but now I'm wondering if it will ever work for the wifi. I have tried to change my ID but apparently I'm not authorised to do so. If I'm not authorised, who is?
Thanks for all the input. I'll await connection day with baited breath.

Thanks again, Neil πŸ˜€

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 44

Go to solution

I don't think they have lied to you by saying you can log on with your BTID because that is actually correct but with the proviso that it has to be a @btinternet.com email address.

Where I think the problem is that the person who told you that is unaware that in order for your BTID to work on BTWifi it has to be a @btinternet.com email address.

It used to be the case that your BTID could be anything you want such as in your instance, your name, but as I have already said, in order to access all the BT services, it now has to be an @btinternet.com email address.

It has always been the case that only the primary BT email account holder could access BTWifi by using their @btinternet.com email address which was given to you when you first signed up to BT.

Now, new customers do not get a BT email address when they sign up unless they ask for one. If they have not asked for one they have to create one when their account goes live by going into MyBT, My Extras.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44932/c/346,6588,6591

As per the link I previously posted this is to allow you to log on once via MyBT and from there you can access your BT account, email etc without further logging on.

nm63uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 44

Go to solution
OK, technically, not a lie, just an unacceptable level of ignorance. I've searched everywhere I can think of to find the answer, if just once, it was stated somewhere on the BT site that you have to have a BT email address, it would have saved me lots of time. It's OK for me not to know, it's completely unacceptable for BT not to tell me that fact.
Hopefully, on Monday, all will be well. I'll set up a BT email account, which will go unused, and everything will work. I remain optimistic.
0 Ratings
aoxm84
Expert
Message 9 of 44

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

@I don't think they have lied to you by saying you can log on with your BTID because that is actually correct but with the proviso that it has to be a @btinternet.com email address.

I am a new customer as of last month. I use a BT ID to connect to BT Wi-fi; it is an email address, but it is a gmail address and not a btinternet address.

That is the situation for new customers, but no doubt the situation for existing customers is more complex.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 44

Go to solution

aoxm84 wrote:

I am a new customer as of last month. I use a BT ID to connect to BT Wi-fi; it is an email address, but it is a gmail address and not a btinternet address.

That is the situation for new customers, but no doubt the situation for existing customers is more complex.

I am an "old" BT user and I had to change my BTID which was just a plain user name, to my btinternet.com email address when I was migrated from BTYahoo to BTMail. This was to make using all the BT services such as BTWifi, BT Sport etc integrated and only require one log on via MyBT. 

I was under the impression that it had to be a BT one so that you could access your BT email address via MyBT along with the other sevices without logging on again.

Can you access all the services including BTMail listed on this link just by using your gmail email addressed BTID

http://www.bt.com/static/wa/account/bt-id-explained/

0 Ratings