Did you mean: 
aoxm84
Expert
Message 11 of 44

Re: My BT ID and Bt Wifi

Go to solution

Yes.

There appears to be a My BT version of the BT Wi-fi controls here:

https://www.bt.com/appsconsumeraccount/secure/BTWifiRegistered.do?ServiceName=BTWIFI&Action=DOWNLOAD

And the older one:

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do

The first link just needs a normal My BT login session.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 44

Go to solution

When you sign in using the first link using your gmail address are you able to click on the email button at the top right and access your @btinternet.com email without logging on again?

0 Ratings
aoxm84
Expert
Message 13 of 44

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

@When you sign in using the first link using your gmail address are you able to click on the email button at the top right and access your @btinternet.com email without logging on again?

No, I don't have a btinternet.com email address.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 44

Go to solution

There would appear to be differences depending on when you became a BT customer. If you are an "older" customer and were issued with a BT primary email address and are subsequently migrated from BTYahoo to BTMail you need to use your primary email address to be your BTID in order to use the services seamlessly.

I think if you had a btinternet.com email address you would need to change your BTID to be able to access it but unless you are prepared to activate a BT email address to try it I guess it is just speculation.

It all just adds to the cluster muck that is BT and BTID.

0 Ratings
aoxm84
Expert
Message 15 of 44

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

I think if you had a btinternet.com email address you would need to change your BTID to be able to access it but unless you are prepared to activate a BT email address to try it I guess it is just speculation.

Since I don't need a btinternet address I think I'll pass on creating one. 🙂 My BT ID gives me access to all the services (Wi-fi, Cloud, Sport, etc).

0 Ratings
nm63uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 44

Go to solution
24 hours or so and I'll know where I stand with BT ID stuff.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 44

Go to solution

You may be more confused than ever Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 44

Go to solution

Quote from the BT site - "If you ordered BT Broadband after 3 September 2013, your BT Wi-fi username is the BT ID you created when you joined BT Broadband. It can be used to log into My BT and all your available extras that come with BT Broadband including BT Wi-fi, BT SmartTalk and BT Cloud."

The text in red gives what may be the solution to the above confusion.

nm63uk did not create a new BT ID when he ordered BT Broadband he continue to try and use the one he already had.

Hence it failed for BT WiFI but still works for My BT.

aoxm84 did create a new BT ID when he ordered BT Broadband using his gmail address. Hence it works for both.

This suggests that you do not need to have a btinternet address as your primary BT ID if you are a new Broadband customer.

However due to the BT ID idea being so badly implemented I would think that inevitably some parts of the BT system will assume it is a btinternet email address and act accordingly. 

eg  I suspect if you are an OLD BT customer with a BT ID that is not an email address some parts of the order system assume it is and try and send emails to it.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 44

Go to solution

vos is right, it's all a bit of a dog's breakfast. Another minor example - I had to change my password as it was too insecure on migration to BT Mail; the new one works for everything BT except the BT WiFi status page, which still requires the old one and there's no way to change it.

Too many changes, too little coordination.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
nm63uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 44

Go to solution

BT have still not fixed this issue. They are confused by it and nobody seems to know the answer. Here's an extract from an email I have just sent.

I was contacted today by someone who asked me if my problem has been solved, I told him it had not and he passed me on to a helpful young lady who attempted to get to the bottom of my problem. She told me that my BTID needs to be an email address if I want to use BTWifi, which I already knew, so I then explained once again that I can log in to MYBT on bt.com

from any device with my current BTID (my name) without any problem but I cannot change my BTID as every time I try the website tells me I am not authorised to do so. The helpful young lady then attempted to change my BTID for me and also failed to do so. Confused by my problem, she then passed me on to another person who simply asked my to do the same things all over again and once again I had to explain the issue and that it's not my fault but a fault of the BT site. This person, also confused by the problem, agreed with me that there is a problem on the account and has passed me on to someone else, who I'm told will get back to me within 2 days (2 days which will actually be 4 days, possibly 5 because today and the weekend don't count) this is on top of the previous '2 days' which turned out to be 5 days to get to todays phone call, which in turn was after another '2 day' wait (also actually 5 days) after initially discussing my issue with the BT twitter 'help team'. 
I fail to see the point in this constant passing on the problem, could somebody who knows some stuff contact me ASAP and solve the problem instead of passing it on? I'll outline the problem once more, so hopefully, I will not need to be asked again -

I have a BTID, it is my name, not an email address, I can and do log into the BT site with my BTID without any problem. My BTID is my primary ID, whatever that might be. Since taking a BT broadband package, I have been informed that I can use BTWifi anywhere I go and all I need is my BTID and password  (along with the app, which I have installed) to connect. This isn't true, I have tried over and over and changed my password several times at the request of the BT help person. It has no effect. I eventually found out that in order to use BTWifi, my BTID needs to be an email address, and this is where the problem starts, I cannot change my BTID, whenever I try to do so, the website informs me that I am not authorised. 'Not authorised' is all the information I get, so I cannot tell you any more than that. The lady from the helpline also tried to change my ID for me and failed too. 

I hope I've explained myself clear enough for them to sort this out soon. I live in hope.

Neil. 😄

0 Ratings