cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Button123
Message 1 of 15

My home is a hotspot!

Has anyone else upgraded to Infinity and also been turned into a wireless hotspot? I only discovered that BT Openzone is also being broadcast from my Infinity Hub after the engineer left. People standing at the bus stop in front of my house can also join my own network (for a fee, so BT can earn extra cash from my connection) and then there's BTWIFI as an open network also being broadcast so any other BT customer can use my connection as well. 

I didn't agree to any of this and after long and incredibly condescending phone calls, I've gotten nowhere. Has anyone had this happen to them?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: My home is a hotspot!

That is standard for everyone but you can opt out. Just means you don't get the benefit of btwifi when you are out and about. People cannot access your home network. https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon/status

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Button123
Message 3 of 15

I did that over 24 hours ago and its still broadcasting. How do I turn off the Openzone network being broadcast?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 15

As a matter of interest, what is your objection to being a Hot Spot?
0 Ratings
Button123
Message 5 of 15

If BT want to earn extra revenue from an internet connection that I already pay for, then surely I should have been asked first and see a reduction in the amount I pay. Then, there's my internet potentially slowing down as a result of people joining it. 

Also, my house isn't a Starbucks. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 15

BT may earn extra cash to non BT customers. If you, as a BT Broadband customer travel around you can use other BT customers hot spots at no charge, so each customer gives and receives. Your own speed shouldn't be affected as your own traffic is given priority - not that it should be a problem on Infinity.

If you don't see the benefit then yes you can opt out. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/kw/Opt%20out%20of%20bt%20fon/c/345,5388,5392
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

it can sometime take up to 28 days to be disabled also no body is earning any thing from it as you have to be a bt customer to log into the service
0 Ratings
Button123
Message 8 of 15

Are you sure? I've messed around with connecting to the Openzone network and it would charge me to use it (just like Starbucks) and BT are in complete denial that this network is being broadcast. 

I've opted out of BTwifi but I don't know how to turn off the Openzone network.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

openzone will also disable when BT WiFi disables

i am perfectly sure the BT WiFi service is Free to all BT Broadband users 

once your hub had updated its software it would have changed to BT WiFi & BTWiFi with FON and both services are free to BT customers  you only need your BT email and password to log in to the service 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 15

Yes John, BTWiFi is free to BT customers but non BT customers can pay for access.

Personally I don't see a problem as your own traffic is not affected.

0 Ratings