cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

MyBt app problem when downgrading from SH 2 to SH 1

I have recently downgraded from Smart Hub 2 to Smart Hub 1 because I absolutely need different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 Ghz WiFi. I am no longer able to use the "Your wi-fi network" section in the MyBt app. It insists on trying to set up  a Smart Hub 2, although there is not one connected. Presumably because I am using the wrong type of hub, the setup fails as soon as I have scanned the QR code on my Smart Hub 1. I am unable to get any further with the setup, and therfore cannot use the app to look at wifi signal strength etc.

I have reintalled the app, but this did not make any difference. Can anything be done at my end or at BT's end to persuade the app to forget that I did have a Smart Hub 2, and let me start again from scratch?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: MyBt app problem when downgrading from SH 2 to SH 1

As far as I'm aware the 'Your wifi network' is only applicable to the SH2. The only thing the app can do which can't be done by  logging in to the hub itself,  is check wireless strength. That is a very basic function on the MYBT app and a much better indication of wifi strength is given by a multitude of wifi analyser apps.

0 Ratings
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Thank you for your reply.

There are other problems to do with my account and MyBT (both App and web versions). BT are looking into this. It could be to do with my downgrade from SH2 to SH1. Basically although my broadband is operating correctly, whenever I ask the app to do anything it says that it cannot find my connection. Very peculiar!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

the new MYBT app links to your hub and provides access to various information but it needs serial number from the hub.  did you change number in app when your changed hub?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

No, it did not ask me to enter the serial number. Do you know how to enter it?

That certainly explains why it can't find the hub. Thanks.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

You could try uninstalling ip and then installing it again

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

I cannot find anywhere in the app to change the hub so uninstall seems to be only solution

jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

I did already uninstall and reinstall the app several times. But it made no difference. So for the time being I have reinstalled the SH 2. Everything now works as expected. So it certainly seems that the serial number of the SH 2 matches what the app expects. But I wonder how it is meant to work. Surely it must be possible to swap hubs without the app locking up. There is obviously a fault or an ommission in the app.

Thanks so much for your input (I have given you another thumbs up for this). At least I now know something about what is going on, and I shall be interested to see what BT come up with.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

I you were able to login to MYBT app then go to more then your wifi network then do  you see hub ( obviously now sh2) but hopefully it would previous hub then change admin password and hopefully that will give you access to old hub

0 Ratings
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

Thanks for your ideas. I don't entirely follow your suggestion.

What does "go to more than your wifi network" mean?.

Where should I see the hub?

With the admin password. Are you suggesting that I change the password on the SH 1 (that I want to use) to be the same as the password on the SH 2 (that the hub is expecting to find)?

I shan't try this straight away. At the moment I am using the SH 2 successfully, and I think that I have found a way to get round my need for different passwords for 2.4 and 5 Ghz WiFi, so might be able to stick with SH 2 after all. Most times when I swap the hub my Tado central heating control system stops working, and it takes about 15 minutes to sort it out.

0 Ratings