more worrying. my version of the screen above shows 2 other networked pcs alongside the protect more box.
one win10 pc has same screen as above. the other win xp has normal screen apart from "all access internet security" added to the heading .
the number the text to mobile was sent from has been reported elsewhere for spam texts.
I reset my laptop wiping all data and reinstalling windows.
when logging on to my bt to download bt net protect plus security software. the installation process said all access for all my devices was included.
I ended up back to square one with a bt/mcafee screen as above offering " protect more " and the same dubious link on phone. There seem to be at least 3 users here with the same infected BT netprotect plus.
I meant 3 other forum users not 3 on my network. I wonder how many other BT broadband users unknowingly have the same
If you have re-installed your Windows operating system it is unlikely you will have had any malware of virus on your computer after the re-install.
As regards the screen shots posted I would imagine that the mobile phone number is shown as an example, it is not the number you have to text. You are meant to place your own mobile number or email address into the box provided and you will get an email or text back with a link the you use to install the product onto your device.
The "mcafee" netplus page invites you to enter your own mobile number.
A text then appears on your mobile giving a link to add your additional device to be protected.
On closer inspection the link provided is not mcafee but mcaf.ee.
Clicking on the link on the phone fails.
Also the text originating phone number has been reported as very dubious on various web sites.
Should have been more careful but as it originated from my bt/mcafee I wasn't.
I have bt Netprotect plus.The modified screen when I opened netprotect plus lnow
The link about ooked like a mcafee live safe page.
I think what happened was a pop up window appeared apparently from mcafee saying there were upgrades for netprotect plus which I executed.
I have automatic upgrades set so shouldn't have had a manual request. Again careless me.
The link you provided says mobiles covered from October